Lucian

"Find. That. Bastard." I glared. Ender looked up and asked, "which bastard, boss?"

"The one that ruined my sister," I clenched my fists. Ender's eyes widened, and he immediately understood what I meant. His jaw clenched, and he said, "we will definitely hunt that bastard down, boss. We will get everyone onto this case."

I sighed, leaning back in my chair, lighting the cigarette in my mouth. I inhaled deeply, suddenly remembering something. "Brother! Quit smoking already! I've told you so many times – you may think that you're invincible, but that doesn't mean you can go around ruining your health!" It was ironic how I was thinking of Evie even now. She had always cared a lot about my health, I now realised.

I took out the cigarette from my mouth and threw it on the ground, stomping on it to extinguish the flame.

I had received her letters. Her emails. Her texts. Everything. But she didn't know how much I did for her – she had once mentioned in her letters that there was a boy who picked on her constantly. So I killed him. She mentioned a stray dog that bit her while she was trying to feed it. So I decapitated it. She mentioned a house that she found creepy and scary. So I exploded it. I did so much for her, just behind the scenes. I knew how she'd react if she knew half of the things I'd done for her – she would have that look of horror in her eyes, then yell at me. That was how it always was. No matter what I did for her, she despised me for it.

What should I have done? What could I have done? I tried. I gave Evie a home by placing her with Mrs Tren and Susie. I gave Evie money as often as I could. I created a safe environment for Evie. I sent Evie to the same school her friends were in. So why? Why was it not enough for her? Why did she look so miserable? Why... was I not enough for her?

I couldn't understand Evie. I couldn't understand anyone, really. Evie never said so, but she and I both knew it. In a way, I wasn't human. I was more like a monster than a human. And that was exactly what all those who knew of my name called me. And that was undoubtedly right. I was a monster. I would always be.

~~~

Charlotte (BTW for anyone who's forgotten, she's the nurse who replaced the blonde one Ezra beat up)

The boy, Ezra Rodriguez, glared at me as I came into the room. He always did – he didn't trust the nurses. Honestly, neither did I. Most nurses in this psychiatric hospital were despicable, mostly rude and snarky and always talking about patients and even other nurses behind their backs. I actually felt quite satisfied when Ezra Rodriguez beat up Brittney – she had it coming for a long time. Another reason I was happy that Brittney was beaten up was that I could take over her role of serving meals to room 228 – there was a patient there that I had grown fond of: Waverly Wren. She was a pretty girl with dark brown hair and blue eyes, but had scars that ran deep. I didn't know why, but for some reason, I felt as though I wanted to help her. I wanted to do anything I could for her. She... really looked like she needed it. She needed someone to care about her in this hospital where most would just despise her.

"Here," I handed Ezra a bowl with cereal and a plate with pancakes. He didn't react, nor did he say anything, so I just moved on, pushing the squeaky silver trolley through the blue curtain.

"...Miss Wren? It's time to eat," I said, my tone cautious and inviting as I stopped the trolley. Waverly was staring at her hands in some kind of trance, and I could tell from her expression that something wasn't quite right. Her face was so pale – she had always been pale, even from the moment she had arrived, but now, her face was almost white.

"Miss Wren?" I abandoned my trolley and rushed towards her. "Are you okay? Do—Do you need something? Here, let me get you some water--"

"...Fine." Waverly murmured so softly that I missed the first part of what she said. "...I'm fine."