Chapter 17: Between Promises and Doubts

[JUNKYU'S POV]

The night at Jeongwoo’s had done wonders to lift the weight off my shoulders. Surrounded by laughter, dares, and the playful jabs of my friends, it felt like the tension between Haruto and me had finally eased, if only for a little while. But as the night drew to a close and we all started heading our separate ways, I found myself alone with Haruto, the lingering buzz of the evening still crackling between us.

We walked back to his apartment in comfortable silence, our hands occasionally brushing together. The air was crisp, carrying the soft hum of city life around us, but all I could focus on was Haruto—his steady presence beside me, his warm smile, and the way his fingers eventually found mine, interlocking as if they belonged there.

When we finally reached his door, Haruto hesitated, turning to face me with that familiar mischievous glint in his eyes. “You want to come in? Just for a bit?”

I nodded, unable to hide the smile tugging at my lips. “Yeah, I’d like that.”

Inside, the apartment was dimly lit, cozy and quiet. Haruto kicked off his shoes and tossed his jacket onto the couch, turning back to me with an easy grin. I could feel the tension shifting—no longer heavy or awkward, but something softer, charged with anticipation.

“Tonight was fun,” he said, stepping closer. “I missed hanging out like that.”

“Yeah,” I agreed, my voice barely a whisper. “It’s been a while.”

Haruto’s hand brushed against my cheek, his touch gentle but electric, sending a shivers. I leaned into his palm, savoring the warmth. It had been so long since we’d been like this—just the two of us, no fears or doubts hovering between us.

“I’m sorry, Junkyu,” he murmured, his voice low. “For everything. I never wanted you to feel like I was pushing you away.”

“It’s okay,” I replied, reaching up to touch his face. “I just… I needed to know we were still okay.”

“We are,” Haruto said, his forehead resting against mine. “We’ll always be.”

The moment hung between us, heavy and full of unspoken words, until Haruto leaned in, capturing my lips with his. The kiss was slow and deep, filled with a tenderness that made my heart ache. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer, feeling every ounce of his apology in the way he held me, his hands tracing the line of my back as if he were trying to memorize every inch.

We stumbled back toward his bedroom, our lips never breaking apart, the need between us growing with every step. Haruto’s touch was everywhere—his fingers in my hair, his hands slipping beneath my shirt, igniting every nerve with a fire that had been burning for far too long.

When we reached the bed, he pulled me down with him, our bodies tangling together in a mess of limbs and whispered promises. It was gentle and urgent all at once, the kind of intimacy that left no room for anything else but us. Haruto’s kisses trailed down my neck, each touch more deliberate than the last, as if he were trying to reassure me without words that this was real—that we were real.

I tugged at his clothes, feeling the heat of his skin against mine, the soft sighs that escaped his lips as we moved together. Everything else faded away—the doubts, the fears, the outside world. It was just us, lost in each other, making up for every moment we’d spent apart.

Haruto’s hands roamed my body, each touch delicate yet filled with an intensity that sent shivers through me. He looked at me with such tenderness, a mix of desire and vulnerability that made my chest tighten. “You’re everything to me, Junkyu,” he whispered, his voice rough with emotion. “I hope you know that.”

“I do,” I replied, my breath hitching as he pulled me closer, our bodies moving in perfect sync. “I love you, Haruto.”

The words hung between us, heavy and raw, but Haruto didn’t flinch. Instead, he kissed me deeper, his touch more urgent, as if trying to prove that he felt the same—that no matter what, this was where he wanted to be. We lost ourselves in each other, sharing the best of us in the quiet intimacy of the night, making love with a passion that left us breathless and sated.

When it was over, we lay there in the afterglow, tangled in sheets and each other’s arms. Haruto held me close, his fingers tracing lazy patterns on my skin, and for the first time in weeks, I felt at peace. There were no secrets, no unspoken fears—just us, together.

The next morning, I woke up to the soft light filtering through the curtains and the comforting warmth of Haruto beside me. I watched him sleep for a moment, his expression relaxed, and felt a rush of affection that made my chest swell. For a brief moment, everything felt perfect.

But that fragile peace shattered later that day.

I was sitting in the living room when Haruto’s phone buzzed on the coffee table. He was in the kitchen making coffee, so I picked it up, intending to hand it to him—but the message on the screen made me freeze.

It was from Minji.

Minji: Hey, Haruto. Thanks for yesterday. I had a great time, and I’m glad we got to talk. Let’s meet again soon, okay?

I stared at the message, my heart sinking. The words were innocent enough, but the implications hit me like a punch to the gut. “Thanks for yesterday.” Had Haruto met with her again after everything he’d said? After all his reassurances?

Haruto walked back into the room, two mugs in hand, and paused when he saw my expression. “What’s wrong?”

I held up his phone, the screen still glowing with Minji’s message. “Care to explain this?”

Haruto’s face fell, the color draining from his cheeks. He set the mugs down, his expression conflicted. “Junkyu, it’s not what it looks like. I was just—”

“What, Haruto?” I cut him off, my voice sharp. “You were just hanging out with her again? After everything we talked about?”

Haruto looked pained, struggling to find the right words. “She needed someone to talk to. It was nothing, I swear. I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to worry—”

“But you still went!” I snapped, frustration boiling over. “You promised me there was nothing between you two, and yet here you are, sneaking around behind my back!”

“It’s not like that, Junkyu. Please, you have to believe me,” Haruto pleaded, his voice cracking with desperation. But the doubt that I’d tried so hard to bury was back, stronger than ever, clawing at my heart with every word he said.

I stepped back, feeling the walls close in. “I thought you were done hiding things from me, Haruto. But it feels like you’re just making excuses.”

Haruto reached out, his hand trembling slightly, but I pulled away, the sting of betrayal too fresh to ignore. “Junkyu, I swear, I didn’t mean to hurt you. I was just trying to be a friend to her—”

“I can’t keep doing this,” I said, my voice breaking. “I can’t keep wondering if there’s more to this than you’re letting on.”

Haruto’s expression crumbled, and for a moment, we just stood there, the weight of everything unsaid hanging between us. I wanted to believe him, wanted to trust that he was telling the truth, but Minj's presence loomed over us, threatening to unravel everythimg we'd tried so hard to hold together.