< 15 >

"Are you alright to put them on, just for now, so we can go up to the PE office to try and find some dry ones?" Mr Charles asked Corey.

Corey looked at the wet trainers, thinking about how disgusting it would be to put them back on while they were still covered in wee.

"Do I have to?" Corey huffed childishly.

"Unless you want to go up to the office without any shoes on, then yes you have to" Mr Charles offered an alternative choice for Corey to make.

"Fine" Corey rolled his eyes but went to put on the wet trainers all the same.

"Thank you for listening" Mr Charles praised Corey for his compliance

Corey then followed Mr Charles up from the changing rooms to the PE office. He felt like everybody could hear his shoes squelching as he walked, making Corey cringe internally.

"Hello" Mr Charles announced himself as he walked into the office.

"Are you alright?" Mr Watson replied.

The PE office was now fully packed with the other PE teachers, including Mr Diamond.

Corey looked at Mr Diamond, giving him a subtle smile, hopeful that Mr Diamond would recognise it as an apology.

"We were just coming up to see whether you had some spare trainers that Corey could borrow because his are a bit wet" Mr Charles explained to the rest of the office.

Mr Watson subconsciously looked down at Corey's shoes, surveying their wetness.

"We don't keep spare trainers up here I'm afraid" Mr Watson sounded genuinely regretful that he couldn't help Corey.

"Thanks anyway. We'll head up to the boarding house to see what they have up there" Mr Charles said.

"Corey can wait here with us if you prefer" Mr Diamond suggested, not wanting Corey to have to trudge around the school in his wet shoes.

"No, that's okay. I want to show Corey where most of the spare stuff is kept just incase he needs it in the future" Mr Charles rejected the suggestion. More than that, though, he wanted to ensure he was keeping a very close eye on Corey moving forward.

Mr Charles then guided Corey in the direction of the boarding house. This was a part of the school Corey hadn't seen yet, so as he approached the new building, Corey found himself feeling slightly nervous. He remembered his Mum threatening to enrol him in the boarding school that morning, so going inside felt almost like he was there to stay.

"So, I don't come up here that often. We'll have to go and find Mr Grant to show us where they keep all of their spare clothes. He's the head of the boarding house, so he's probably quite a good person for me to introduce you to" Mr Charles explained as they both stood in the boarding house entrance.