Chapter 1

The rain poured down, drenching everything in sight. Andrew crouched low in the shadows of an alley, the cold ground pressing against his skin as he peered out at the world beyond. The bright lights of New Haven flickered in the distance, casting an eerie glow over the empty streets. This city felt alive, but it was dying, suffocated by corruption and fear.

He tightened his fists, the fabric of his worn jacket soaked through. This was no longer just a city; it was a graveyard of memories. A year ago, Andrew was a different guy—a college student with dreams of making a difference. But that all changed the night the U.S. army came for his father.

His dad was a good man, a whistleblower who found out about government corruption. He thought he could expose the truth and keep his family safe. Instead, that truth turned into a nightmare that tore their lives apart.

Andrew’s heart raced as he remembered that night—the loud banging on the door, the chaos that followed, and the sight of his father being dragged away by soldiers, hands cuffed and eyes filled with fear. “We’ll get through this, son!” his father had shouted before disappearing into the darkness. Those were the last words he’d ever heard from him.

The rain picked up, and Andrew’s throat tightened with regret. He took a deep breath, inhaling the smell of wet pavement and gasoline. The world around him was dark and heavy, but a spark of anger began to flicker within him. He wasn’t just a victim anymore; he was a man ready for revenge.

For the past year, he’d been stuck in prison, a cold place where he learned to become something else—something stronger. He trained his body and mind, preparing for the day he could strike back. Every push-up, every lesson in combat, every bit of knowledge he picked up had led him to this moment. He wasn’t just Andrew anymore; he was a shadow, a figure in the night ready to take on the world.

He scanned the alley for any signs of danger. The walls were tall and covered in graffiti—a canvas of rebellion and despair. A flickering streetlight cast long shadows, and the distant sound of sirens filled the air, reminding him of the city’s decay.

Andrew's pulse quickened as he noticed movement at the end of the alley. Two gang members were walking his way, their silhouettes outlined by the streetlight. They were known for their cruelty, and Andrew knew he needed to stay hidden. A confrontation would only make things worse.

He pressed himself deeper into the shadows, trying to quiet his breath. He listened carefully, catching bits of their conversation.

“Did you hear about that hacker?” one of them said, his voice low and rough. “He’s been messing with the army’s systems. They’re offering a reward for anyone who can find him.”

“Yeah? They’ll never catch him. That guy’s a ghost. But if we get to him first...” the other replied, a sinister laugh escaping him.

Andrew’s ears perked up. A hacker? In this city, hackers were rare, usually hiding in the shadows, either working for the highest bidder or against the corrupt system. This could be his chance. If he could find this hacker, maybe he could get the information he needed about the faction that had ruined his life.

As the gang members moved on, Andrew took a moment to collect himself. The first step in his mission for revenge was to find allies—people with skills that could help him. He’d heard of a hacker named Cipher, someone who was skilled at navigating the digital world. If anyone could help him take down the army, it was Cipher.

With determination fueling him, Andrew slipped out of the alley and onto the rain-soaked streets. The city felt alive, pulsing with the potential for chaos and opportunity. He moved through the maze of alleys, alert for any threats, and made his way to the bar where Cipher was said to hang out.