Take a Chance

In the days leading up to their trip to the drive-in, Warren explores his feelings for Max. He also contemplates her motives for agreeing to 'go ape' with him. Does she just feel bad after he took on Nathan's wrath in the parking lot, or does she feel the same way he does?

His mind was filled with fleeting thoughts that morning as he walked to the girl's dormitory. The Newberg drive-in was having a Planet of the Apes showing this week and he had already bought two tickets. His only issue was inviting the person he bought the second ticket for: Max. He wanted to ask her in the parking lot on Monday when she brought him his flash drive, but then that asshole Nathan Prescott entered the scene and tried threatening Max, giving him a black eye in the process. It didn't seem like the right time to ask her then, but now he wanted to catch her early before anymore crazy shit happened.

Warren had fallen for her almost immediately when she arrived at Blackwell just a few weeks ago. Sure, there were a lot of girls at school who were cool or smart enough, and there was Brooke too (who he suspected might have a crush on him). But they paled in comparison to Max Caulfield. She was not only beautiful and talented, she was also kind, funny and had great taste in music and movies. She had surprised him when she mentioned that she had enjoyed watching Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, one of Warren's favorite selections from his flash drive. She was the first person he thought of when the drive-in announced the showing of the Apes movie.

As she walked down the steps of the dorm entrance, he tried his best to play it cool, fidgeting with his phone. Her footsteps neared him and he looked up to meet her eyes.

"Warren! What're you doing here?" She asked

"Oh, nothing-waiting. For a call? I mean, I already took the call.." Real smooth, idiot, he thought to himself. "Anyway, I wanted to rap about that action yesterday."

"By the way, thank you for stepping in. You were pretty badass, Warren. I owe you"

"Oh yes, you do. I got knocked on my ass by that dick. I'm some personal superhero"

They continued to talk about Chloe and how she rescued Max from the chaos in the parking lot, leaving Warren to take the blow from Nathan. He was curious about the connection between Nathan and Max, but she was hesitant to disclose the reason for Prescott's aggression, only that it wasn't safe for Warren to get involved. The irony of the statement throbbed in Warren's right eye.

"Weird fucking week. Like that bizarro snowfall yesterday. Speaking of dystopia, that drive-in is having a 70's 'Planet of the Apes' marathon. Let's 'Go Ape'!" He waited in anticipation for her response. Part of him was expectant of her turning the offer down given the situation in the parking lot and any other chaos that ensued from that interaction. The other part of him was hoping she would say yes, especially since he bought the tickets with her in mind.

"Yes, that's exactly what I need. I love those old-school ape films" her answer eliciting his eyebrows to arch in excitement.

"Well, that was easier than I thought. Cool. I'll text you the info" the words came out smoother than he had anticipated.

As she waved goodbye, he beamed with joy. He was excited at the prospect of being alone with her at the drive in. Would this be considered a date?

___________________________________________

The days before their outing went on as usual, classes beginning and ending, only now he had the excitement of going to the drive-in with Max. Right before science class on Thursday started, Max walked in and briefly talked to Ms. Grant about signing her surveillance petition. He admired the way she took the time to try and make a difference for others. She walked over to Warren's lab table and he moved his things to make room for her.