Chapter 18: The Weight of Power and Passion

A New Revelation

The morning sun streamed through the tall windows of the villa, casting long shadows across the stone floors. Ethan had grown accustomed to the intensity of his training and the demands placed upon him by Xanthos, but today, something felt different. There was a weight in the air, a sense that something profound was about to be revealed.

Xanthos, ever the stern mentor, stood waiting in the center of the training room, his expression more serious than usual. "Ethan," he began, his voice deep and resonant, "you've made incredible progress in your training, and you've shown that you have the potential to lead our family. But there are things you must understand—things about our family's history and the responsibilities that await you at the Tenth Palace."

Ethan, still catching his breath from the morning drills, straightened up, wiping the sweat from his brow. "What is it, Xanthos?" he asked, sensing the gravity in his uncle's tone.

Xanthos took a deep breath, his eyes narrowing slightly. "You know that our family has existed for thousands of years, but what you may not fully understand is the depth of our origins. Over 10,000 years ago, there were beings known as Vampire Gods—immortals with powers beyond comprehension. Unlike the vampires you know today, these gods could convert any human into a vampire with a hundred percent success rate using just a single drop of their blood."

Ethan's eyes widened. "Vampire Gods? I've read bits and pieces about them, but I thought they were just legends."

Xanthos shook his head. "No legend, Ethan. They were real, and according to the ancient texts, there were exactly ten of these Vampire Gods. Each one of them was a force of nature, capable of unimaginable feats. They were the ones who started converting humans into vampires and thus began the formation of the ten great vampire families."

Ethan listened closely, his heart beating faster as he tried to imagine the sheer power these beings must have wielded. "And each family was led by one of these gods?"

"Precisely," Xanthos continued. "Each of the Vampire Gods established a family, leading them as both rulers and protectors. However, not all vampires created by these gods were of equal strength. Some were exceptionally powerful, while others were less so. And when the Vampire Gods mysteriously disappeared, chaos ensued. Without their guidance, there were no rules or restrictions on how vampires should behave. Many did as they pleased, wielding their immense power recklessly."

Ethan could see where this was going. "So the ten most powerful successors decided to take control."

Xanthos nodded. "Yes. To prevent a complete breakdown of vampire society, these successors formed the Vampire Council. They created laws, established order, and ensured that vampires did not reveal themselves to the human world. Back then, the vampire population was small—only in the thousands. But now... things are different."

Ethan's brows furrowed. "How different?"

Xanthos's eyes darkened. "Now, there are millions. Just within our Tenth Family, we have more than five hundred thousand vampires scattered across the globe. Many hold positions of power—politicians, military officers, business tycoons, scientists, doctors. Vampires have integrated deeply into human society, often hiding in plain sight. This is how our family maintains its wealth, influence, and power—not just in the vampire world but in the human world as well."

Ethan's mouth fell open slightly. He had known that his family was powerful, but he hadn't grasped the sheer scale of their influence. "So... we're everywhere?"

"Everywhere," Xanthos confirmed. "And as a future leader, you will need to understand this network. You will have to manage not just vampires but also our influence in human affairs. To help you, I've called upon some of the most senior and loyal members of our family."