CHAPTER 3

The silence in the dining room was deafening. I sat at the table, my fork hovering over my plate, my stomach churning with a mix of anger and sadness. It was Aidan's birthday, and it felt like no one else cared.

"Dad," I started, my voice barely a whisper. "It's Aidan's birthday today, right?"

Before my father could answer, Amy, my twin, cut me off.

"Dad, can we talk about the new investment opportunities you mentioned earlier?" she said, her voice smooth and polite.

Sipsip talaga ang babaeng 'to kahit kailan.

My father's attention immediately shifted to Amy, his eyes lighting up with interest. He completely ignored my question.

I clenched my fist around my fork, my knuckles turning white. The anger simmered inside me, a hot, bitter feeling that threatened to boil over. I had to force myself to stay quiet, to keep my composure in front of our family.

Sumakit ang puso ko kay Aidan. Parang invisible siya, parang ordinaryong araw lang ang birthday niya. Umupo siya sa tapat ko, nakayuko ang ulo, nakapikit ang mga mata. Sanay na siyang hindi pinapansin, na tratuhin na parang hindi siya mahalaga.

"So, Amy," Dad said, his voice full of enthusiasm. "Tell me more about your wedding plans. Have you decided on a date yet?"

Amy beamed, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

"We're thinking of getting married in the spring," she said. "It'll be a beautiful outdoor ceremony."

"Archie's a good boy," Dad said, nodding approvingly. "He's a good catch for you, Amy."

Archie. My best friend. My first love. The boy I had loved for years, the boy who was now going to marry my twin sister. It was a twisted irony that made my stomach churn.

I wanted to say something, to point out the injustice of it all, but I couldn't bring myself to speak. I was trapped in a cage of my own making, bound by the chains of my own silence.

They had come home for Aidan's birthday, they said. But their words felt hollow, their presence a mockery of the occasion.

"Everything will be fine, Aidan," I whispered, my voice barely audible.

Tumingala si Aidan, bakas sa mga mata niya ang pag-asa. Ngunit mabilis itong napawi nang makita niya ang pagwawalang-bahala sa mga mukha ng aming mga kapatid. Hindi man lang nila siya kinilala.

"How is the company in the two city, boys?" Dad asked, his attention still focused on Arden and Aric.

"It was good," Arden replied, his voice nonchalant. "We got a lot of work done."

Aric just nodded, his eyes glued to his phone.

Sumiklab ang galit ko. Parang hindi man lang nila naalala kung bakit sila nandito. Umuwi sila para sa kaarawan ni Aidan, ngunit hindi man lang sila nag-abalang batiin siya ng maligayang kaarawan.

"Did you guys forget?" I asked, my voice laced with frustration. "I-It's Aidan's birthday."

"Oh, right," Arden said, his voice flat. "Happy birthday, Aidan."

Aric just grunted, still staring at his phone.

Gusto kong sumigaw. Gusto ko silang sigawan, para sabihin sa kanila kung gaano nila sinasaktan si Aidan. Pero alam kong wala itong maidudulot na mabuti. Hindi nila maintindihan.

Napatingin ako kay Aidan, his face mask of disappointment. Sanay na siya sa ganito, hindi pinapansin at hindi tinitigan. Pero hindi ko kayang makita siyang nasasaktan ng ganito.