Brotherly Punishment (Part 5)

A New Routine

Sam woke up earlier than usual, just like yesterday. He knew his mom was going to barge in any second to tell him what to wear—like she always did for Zack. Being nine, Zack didn't get much say in what he wore, and their mom insisted he always looked his best, especially after Zack got to be a model for one of his school friend's parents who worked in the fashion industry.

Sam rolled his eyes just thinking about it. He was so over being treated like a little kid, but there wasn't much he could do about it now. His mom would be here any minute, acting like she still needed to pick out his clothes, as if he didn't know how to dress himself. It was just another reminder of how much being stuck in Zack's body sucked.

Sam wasn't even sure if it was Zacks's friend's parent or just some random kid in his school's parents he had modelled for. Being twice Zack's age, he hadn't really paid much attention to his little brother's life for the past year. All he knew was that Zack had done some modeling for local shops and had a bigger gig lined up with an online store in a week or two. Sam could only hope he'd be back in his own, now broken, body by then and wouldn't have to deal with it.

He lay there, thinking about how terrible the day was going to be. He'd have to go back to middle school and pretend to be Zack, hang out with his brother's annoying friends, who were still obsessed with sci-fi and more into soccer than football. They were all too small to play real sports, anyway.

With a groan, he forced himself out of bed, hating how comfortable it had been in the now stupid body he was in, and how awake he felt. He decided to just get dressed, hoping maybe his mom would cut him some slack and let him wear something that didn't make him look like a kid straight out of a catalog, considering Zack—or, who she thought was Zack—was in the hospital. He grabbed the plainest things he could find, avoiding the stupid graphic tees that made up most of Zack's wardrobe. Today was going to be tough enough without looking like a walking ad for a kids' clothing store.

Sam hated having to get naked, but he was quick about it, refusing to look down as he slipped into Zack's stupid kid-sized underwear. He then quickly pulled on some plain black kid shorts and a light green shirt, both as unremarkable as he could find, and headed downstairs.

Of course, the first thing his mom said was, "Zack, what on earth are you wearing? You know better than to dress like this! Either wait for me or pick one of the outfits we laid out together. I know you're worried about your older brother, but that's no excuse to look like a mess, especially not after all the work you've put into your modeling. You're my little star, remember?" She smiled down at him, her hands already on his shoulders, steering him back upstairs. with no "good morning" or anything like that, just right into mom-mode, he had seen all his life.

Sam knew there was no point in arguing. If he made a fuss, she'd probably just grab him by the ear and drag him back to Zack's room anyway. As annoying as it was, he let her guide him, realizing that Zack's life was way more controlled than he'd ever imagined. It was just "yes, Mom" to everything, being stuck in the house, and now dealing with being treated like a little kid. He'd thought Zack was spoiled, but this was more like being trapped.

Once he reluctantly put on the clothes she picked out, he hated how he looked. There he was, staring at himself in the mirror, looking just like his cute little brother. The stupid shirt had a cartoon monkey on it, and his shorts were way shorter than anything he'd ever worn in his life, practically glowing in the dark with how bright green they were. He hated how his mom just sat there watching him change, even when he asked for some privacy.

She'd just shrugged and said, "I used to bathe you when you were little," and he'd sighed, knowing he just had to deal with it for now. By the end of the week, he'd be back to his 18-year-old self, he told himself, staring at his reflection and feeling the sticky gel in his hair from how she styled it just like Zack's. with him seeing a mirror image of Zack staring back at him, Then he heard her shouting from downstairs that "his" cereal was ready and he had twenty minutes before they had to leave.