02 | knock knock, jail

chapter 2: knock knock, jail

"How... to stop looking so awkward after running away from someone?" She muttered under her breath as she typed the words into her laptop's search bar, her fingers moving frantically across the keys.

"You know Google's not gonna help you with this," Kuroo's voice cut through her concentration.

She froze mid-type, glancing up at him, then clicked the enter button defiantly. "Shut up," she muttered, hoping that somehow, some corner of the internet had advice for her absurd situation. The screen loaded, and after a moment of waiting, she sighed at the lack of helpful results.

Kuroo, meanwhile, was pacing across Kenma's living room, arms flailing dramatically. "Seriously, the worst thing you could've done was run away. How cowardly are you to bail when a guy confesses to you? And it's freaking Miya Atsumu-the hotshot on campus. The Miya Atsumu, and you're out here rejecting him by sprinting off like he's some kind of stalker!"

She winced. "Okay, I panicked! What was I supposed to do? The guy just blurted it out in front of everyone. I'm not used to being the center of attention like that."

Kuroo stopped his pacing and gave her a deadpan look. "And your first instinct was to run?"

She rubbed her temples. "Yes. Yes, it was. Clearly, I need better instincts."

He groaned, throwing his hands in the air again. "You don't need better instincts, you need a spine! Atsumu has been chasing after you for months, and the second he gathers the guts to confess, you bolt? That's like, peak rom-com awkwardness but without the happy ending part."

"Thanks, really needed that pep talk," she said dryly, closing her laptop. "But it wasn't just the confession. There were like, dozens of people watching. I felt like I was going to explode."

Kuroo stopped pacing and sat down beside her, his tone softening a bit. "Alright, fine, maybe that was a lot of pressure. But now what? Are you just going to avoid him for the rest of your life?"

She slumped into the kotatsu feeling the warmth of it. "That's the plan."

"Terrible plan," he muttered, crossing his arms. "You know Atsumu isn't the kind of guy to just let this go, right? He'll probably find a way to confront you again. Dude's persistent."

"Ugh, I know," she groaned, burying her face in her hands. "Why did this have to happen? I was perfectly fine being invisible."

Kuroo smirked. "Invisible? Yeah, that ship sailed the second Atsumu started making heart eyes at you. Welcome to the world of drama, my friend."

Just then, Kenma, who had been silently sitting in the corner gaming the entire time, chimed in without looking up from his screen. "You should probably apologize. Running away's not exactly great for his ego."