CHAPTER-1

He was hiding under a car. The bottom of the vehicle, greenery in his surrounding and concrete of the road could be seen. He could hear his soft but unsteady breathing. The gentle patter of rain muffled with some footsteps and echoed through the tranquility of forest. His 7 year old heart beating faster and faster with each step.

"Here you are! I thought you won't come. Well, I didn't expect anything less from the Cannistraro women. Beauty and Brains are there trait." said a heavy manish voice he didn't remember, being heard.

"Where is my husband?" asked a voice he recognised as his mother's.

"Oh! I don't know. Maybe dead and dumped in a harbour."-"No!"she cried-"Or he could be at gunpoint, about to die."he continued,"Else, I don't have him."

"What do you want? Let me go. I can pay you fortune."

"I don't want money."

"Then what can I give you? Tell me."

"There is nothing you can give me."

"Everyone has desires. Tell me yours. I will fulfil it."

"I have a desire. A strong desire. Will you give me that?"

"What is it?"

"I have to ruin your husband's empire. Like he ruined mine. I want vengeance."

"Who are you?"her voice shook.

"You don't need to know that. I just wish for your death. It will ruin him to roots. You're his most prized possession."

"You are a coward. Hiding behind a mask to kill me. Well I don't have certain wish for death." she stated.

Sirens of police rang in the serenity of forest.

"So much for your bravery, dear Marie." he said and fired

Fired!

Fired!

He woke up gasping for air and panting. Breathing heavily, he tore off the blanket from his body and got out of the bed, trembling slightly and trying to steady himself and walking out of his room.

Another night. Another Nightmare.

As usual, he headed towards his study. he moved his hand towards the label on the door.

ZACHARIAS OLIVER CANNISTRARO

Tracing the letters, he grabbed the doorknob and turned it. Unlocked. Came in view, his organised study. Yellow curtains hanging down the windows. Quartz textured walls. MapleWood flooring. A bookshelf at the back. Papers stacked on the table in front of it. Chrysanthemum flowers kept in the vase filled the study with its soft fragrance.

He walked towards the bookshelf and pulled out the copy of "The Queen's Gambit".
The bookshelf split opened and a circular staircase appeared. He trudged down the stairs to see a familiar slender figure throwing knives on the board stuck on the wall.

"Another night?" asked the figure.

"Know me this much Ash?"he questioned.

"It's my job." the figure shrugged. His heart dropped at the thought of it being a job but he didn't let his composure falter. The figure moved forward in light revealing her pale ivory face and hazel eyes. Some of her dark hair escaped her braid. She moved towards the wall and grabbed the hilt of knife, pulling it out.

"Why are you up?"he asked.

"Why are you up?"she asked back.

"None of your concern."

"I've news."

"You always have news."he told her.

"The diamond painting of Russian delegates are worth a fortune. Auction to be held on Saturday at Coral Palace. Bidding starts at 7 in evening at the price of 16 million dollars. People from all over the world will be there. The International Market can afford till 20 million. Queen Luna can bid upto 20.5 million dollars. Raaske's money margin is out of line. Natasha Ray and her Peacock Emporium can increase upto 35. Our margin should be 40 to 45 million dollars to seal the deal." she informed.

"Only these?"

"Rest are the Blakes, Vincent Gregory, Rubies and Sapphires, All Around Atlantic, Jade and Nova Creates, and Floorplan. All of them are doomed. Margin till 7. But.." she trailed off.

"But?" he prompted.

"But I've a doubt that Hunsmiths may have faked their margin like last time."

"I'll make it clear. Our money should be ready till Friday which means two days from today."

"Two days from today Zach. Have you thought how are you going to prepare that amount?"

"Yeah."

"But the construction business has just started to flourish. All the money can't be arranged from there."

"I know. That's why we are going to use The Whitlock Code."

"No way!" she exclaimed loudly.

"Yes way, Darling."he smirked.

"You"-she pointed at him "Zacharias Cannistraro are a horrible person."

"And that's what you love about me."he remarked

"No" she scowled.

"Yes"

"No"

"Yes"

"Shut Up!"

"No"

"Shut Up!"

"No"

"For the love of" she cursed under her breath."Your darts are in the orange box. Hit them on the wall, on your face, not my concern. I'm off to bed." she said and vanished in thin air.

Ash headed off to her room. Tracing the letters on the door.

ASHLEN HANNAH EMBERLYN

She turned the doorknob to enter her azure coloured room. White curtains hung on the windows allowing the moonlight to enter. The white canopy bed glistened due to its soft gleam. She changed into her nightclothes and arranged the documents kept on her side table. Then with a last look on the pictures. she went to her bed and drifted into darkness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~