Chapter 10: The Trial Begins

The small courtroom in Millbrook was packed. Word had spread quickly that Marcus Lee, the man at the center of the horrific murders that had gripped the town, was finally standing trial. The atmosphere was electric, a mix of tension and anticipation. The town's collective fear had finally found a focal point, and all eyes were on Marcus as he sat in the defendant's chair, his wrists still cuffed beneath the table.

Detective Samuel Jameson sat in the front row, just behind the prosecution's table. His eyes never left Marcus, who seemed disturbingly calm given the circumstances. Marcus had been arrested weeks earlier, but despite countless interrogations, he hadn't broken. He had given them no names, no concrete evidence, nothing but cryptic comments about the mask and the idea that he wasn't the one they were after.

But today was the day. Jameson was convinced that Marcus would slip up, that the weight of the trial would force him to reveal the truth—or at least lead them closer to whoever else was involved. Because despite Marcus being their primary suspect, the detective couldn't shake the nagging feeling that the real killer was still out there, waiting.

The trial began with the prosecution laying out its case. Marcus's DNA had been found on a piece of flannel left at the first crime scene, as well as on one of the eerie white masks used in the killings. Forensics had confirmed the match, and there was no denying that Marcus had been present at multiple murder scenes.

The prosecutor, a sharp and methodical woman named Sam Maddison, spoke confidently as she addressed the jury. "Marcus Lee was there. His DNA was on the mask. He's been hiding in plain sight, terrorizing this town for weeks. He is responsible for the deaths of four people. And today, we will prove it."

Jameson felt the eyes of the town on Marcus, felt the palpable desire for justice that hung in the air. Yet, as the evidence was presented—the DNA, the flannel, the timeline—Marcus sat silently, his face betraying no emotion.

When it was time for the defense to present its case, things shifted. Marcus's lawyer, a man Jameson hadn't expected to be so composed, stood confidently before the jury. His approach wasn't to deny Marcus's involvement entirely, but rather to paint him as a peripheral figure, someone who had been manipulated or coerced by the real mastermind behind the killings.

"Marcus Lee may have been present," the lawyer began, his voice smooth and calm, "but that doesn't make him the killer. My client has cooperated with the police from the beginning. He has repeatedly told them that he was not the one holding the knife, that he was not the one controlling the mask. The true killer is still out there, and the prosecution's eagerness to pin these crimes on Mr. Lee has blinded them to that fact."

Jameson clenched his jaw. It was a clever defense, one that played into the very doubts that had been gnawing at him since the moment they arrested Marcus. The lawyer wasn't denying the DNA evidence—he was twisting it. And the way Marcus had handled himself during his arrest only fed into this narrative. He hadn't resisted. He hadn't run. He had walked into their trap, almost as if he had wanted them to catch him.

The courtroom buzzed with murmurs as witnesses were called to the stand. First came the forensic experts, testifying about the DNA and how it was undeniably linked to Marcus. Then came the officers who had been present during Marcus's arrest, all of them describing his eerie calm, his strange willingness to go quietly.

But then came the surprise.

One of the last witnesses called to the stand was a woman who claimed to have seen Marcus with another man just days before the murders began. The man, she said, had been wearing a mask.

Jameson's heart sank as he listened to her testimony. Could it be true? Was there someone else involved from the very beginning? The mask had always felt like a tool—something more than just a disguise. It had controlled the victims, made them kneel, made them surrender. Was Marcus merely a pawn in someone else's twisted game?

The witness described the other man as being of similar build to Marcus, but with darker eyes, a more imposing presence. She had seen them together, late at night, in an alleyway not far from where the first bodies had been found.

"That night, I remember it so clearly," she said, her voice trembling slightly as she recalled the events. "I saw them both. Marcus was talking to the other man. It looked... strange. Like he wasn't in charge. Like he was being told what to do."

Jameson shifted in his seat, his mind racing. If this was true, if there was another man, then Marcus might not be the killer. But that didn't mean he was innocent. He had been there. He had been involved.

When it was time for Marcus to speak, the courtroom fell into a heavy silence. He stood slowly, his hands still cuffed, and faced the jury. His lawyer had advised him to keep his statement short, to let the evidence speak for itself. But Marcus had insisted on speaking.

"When I was arrested, I told Detective Jameson that I didn't kill anyone," Marcus said, his voice calm, eerily composed. "I've told them this over and over. But they didn't listen. I was at the scenes, yes. But I didn't hold the knife. I didn't wear the mask. The real killer, he's out there, watching all of this."

The words sent a chill through the room. The jury shifted uncomfortably, their eyes darting between Marcus and the prosecution.

Jameson stood, barely able to contain himself. He couldn't let Marcus turn this trial into another one of his twisted games. He had to get the truth.

"Marcus," Jameson interrupted, his voice strong. The judge looked ready to object, but Jameson pressed on. "If you're not the one who killed them, then who did? Who is this other man you're talking about?"

Marcus turned his head slightly, his eyes locking onto Jameson's. And then, he smiled—that same unnerving smile that had haunted Jameson since the moment they'd met.

"You don't know, do you?" Marcus asked softly, his voice barely above a whisper. "You've been chasing ghosts, Detective. The mask... the real mask isn't something you can catch. It's an idea. A weapon that's used to control people. You think you can stop it, but you're already too late."

Jameson's blood ran cold. There was something in Marcus's voice, something dark and final, that made him feel like the floor had just been ripped out from under him.

The judge called for order, but the damage was done. Marcus's words hung in the air, infecting the minds of the jury, the prosecution, and the townspeople who had come to watch. The sense of relief that should have come with the trial was gone, replaced by a chilling sense of dread.

As the jury was dismissed to deliberate, Jameson sat in the courtroom, his mind whirling. Marcus wasn't innocent—of that, he was sure. But there was more to this than just one man. There had to be. The mask, the killings, the control it had over its victims... it all pointed to something bigger.

The real killer might still be out there.

And Millbrook wasn't safe yet.