Chapter 1: The Gallery Murder

The air inside the Aldridge Art Gallery was thick with the smell of expensive wine, fresh paint, and polished wood. The gallery was nestled in the heart of the city, its façade a gleaming showcase of modern elegance. Glass walls reached high toward the sky, allowing the ambient city light to cascade in, casting a soft glow over the evening's exclusive art exhibition. This was the kind of space where only the elite mingled, surrounded by abstract sculptures and vivid paintings worth more than most people made in a year.

But tonight, the art was the least of anyone's concerns.

The gallery, once alive with whispers of admiration and the soft clinking of glasses, now stood deathly quiet. Police tape flickered under the glow of emergency lights, casting long shadows over the crime scene. Shattered glass crunched underfoot, remnants of an overturned display case lay scattered across the marble floor. A sculpture, once standing proudly in the center of the room, had been toppled, its jagged edges gleaming like sharp teeth in the low light.

Detective Emily Graves pushed through the front doors, her eyes scanning the scene with practiced precision. She stood tall, her face hardened by years of investigating crimes that often bled into the darkest corners of the city. Her short, auburn hair was pulled back into a neat ponytail, revealing a face that was sharp, inquisitive, and tired all at once.

"This one feels off," she murmured to herself, stepping carefully over the debris.

The victim lay crumpled at the far end of the gallery, his body slumped against the base of a large abstract painting that now seemed grotesquely appropriate for the scene. Thomas Aldridge, a man who had lived for his art, now lay motionless beneath it, his eyes wide open, as though surprised by his own death.

Emily crouched beside him, taking in the scene. There were no immediate signs of struggle on his body. No obvious wounds. Just the look of frozen terror in his eyes. She had seen this look before—people who knew their killer or, worse, didn't see it coming until the last second.

"Cause of death?" Emily asked without looking up, her voice directed at the approaching footsteps behind her.

Dr. Lydia Kane, the forensic scientist assigned to the case, walked into view, pulling on her gloves with a practiced motion. Lydia was as clinical as they came, with short-cropped blonde hair and wire-rimmed glasses that gave her an air of analytical detachment. Her eyes flickered over Aldridge's body.

"Hard to say just yet," Lydia replied. "No obvious signs of trauma. But his expression... something scared him, that much is clear."

Emily straightened, her eyes narrowing. "Poison, maybe? It's too clean. Everything here feels... staged."

Lydia nodded, "It's a possibility. I'll know more once I run the tests, but that look on his face is a dead giveaway that whatever happened, it happened fast."

Emily's eyes shifted to the shattered glass and the mess of the scene. "It looks violent, but I'm not buying it. Why would someone go through all the trouble to wreck the place after they killed him?"

Before Lydia could answer, the doors swung open again, and Chief Detective Raymond Cross strode in. Cross was a bear of a man, his broad shoulders and graying beard making him an imposing figure. Despite the warmth of the gallery, he wore his signature long coat, a relic of his many years on the force.

"Graves," he called out, his voice gruff but authoritative, "what have we got?"

Emily stood and gave him a brief rundown. "Thomas Aldridge, prominent gallery owner. No witnesses so far. Gallery security system was down during the event. This mess looks staged—too deliberate."

Cross grunted as he looked around. "So, we've got a murder with no clear motive, a dead man with no wounds, and a scene that looks like a setup. Great." His gaze lingered on Aldridge's body before he turned back to Emily. "Any leads?"

Emily gestured toward the back of the room, where an unassuming man sat on a bench, staring into the distance. He was in his early thirties, with soft, dark curls and an angular face that made him look like one of the sculptures that adorned the gallery walls. His fingers twitched rhythmically, as though they were still grasping a paintbrush.

Leo Foster—the gallery's new artist—had been present during the exhibition but, according to early reports, hadn't seen much. The trouble was, Leo couldn't speak. He hadn't uttered a word since childhood, a trauma no one fully understood. But his art? His art spoke volumes.

"He was here," Emily said. "But we're not getting much from him."

Chief Cross frowned. "He's a mute."

Emily nodded. "But there's more to it. Look at his work."

Cross followed her gaze to the walls where several of Leo's paintings hung. Large, abstract canvases dominated the space. At first glance, they were chaotic bursts of colour and form, but one in particular caught Hale's eye—a painting with jagged black lines slashing across a field of red. In the center, a single figure lay crumpled.

Cross stiffened. "That looks... familiar."

"It's almost identical to the crime scene," Emily confirmed. "He painted this days ago."

They both stared at the eerie resemblance between the painting and the real-life murder that had just taken place.

"Coincidence?" Cross asked.

Emily's lips pressed into a thin line. "I don't believe in coincidences."

Emily glances at Leo, whose hands are still twitching. He seems to sense something. Without words, Leo points at the painting he completed the day before—another image, strikingly similar to the new crime scene, as though predicting the next victim.

The gallery, once a temple of creativity, now felt suffocating, haunted by more than just the art. The pieces of the puzzle were beginning to fall into place, but with each discovery came more questions.

The murder had an audience. But the killer? The killer had a plan. And Emily had the sinking feeling that she was only just beginning to unravel its complexity.