CHAPTER 12: SECRETS UNVEILED

The tension between the three men grew as they stood over Dalton’s lifeless body, each grappling with the weight of the secrets now slowly surfacing. The mansion felt even more suffocating, as if its very walls were closing in on them, eager to witness the final act of the tragedy that had unfolded within.

“We need to stay sharp,” Charles said, breaking the silence. “If Avery’s still watching us, we can’t afford any more mistakes.”

Victor was visibly shaking, his eyes darting nervously around the room. “I don’t care what you say, Lambert. Dalton’s dead, Kenneth’s dead, and David’s dead. If we stay here any longer, we’ll be next.”

Simon’s face was calm, but his eyes carried an intensity that seemed to sharpen with each passing minute. “He’s right about one thing,” he said, turning to Charles. “There’s more you’re not telling us. What was Dalton’s secret?”

Charles felt the weight of their stares but knew he had no choice now. Avery was out there, orchestrating this nightmare. If they had any chance of survival, they needed to know everything.

“Years ago, Dalton told me about Henry Avery,” Charles began, his voice steady. “He wasn’t just Dalton’s business partner. They were like brothers—inseparable. But something changed. Dalton said Avery became obsessed with control, power. He wanted to take everything they built together and make it his.”

“Dalton cut ties with Avery after a deal went bad. The fallout wasn’t just about business—it was personal. Avery disappeared, but I never believed he was truly gone.”

Victor’s eyes narrowed. “So what? You think Avery’s been hiding in the shadows all these years, waiting for revenge?”

Simon, who had been silent, stepped forward. “Not just revenge,” he said coldly. “Avery’s doing this because he’s playing a long game. Dalton wronged him, yes, but we’re all part of this too.”

Charles nodded, the pieces of the puzzle finally starting to fall into place. “Avery must have orchestrated this entire night—bringing us here, setting the stage for Dalton’s death. But the question is, why us?”

Simon’s jaw tightened. “Because we all have something in our pasts that connects us to Dalton. And to Avery.”