chapter 2

Later in the week, Taylor meets Blake for coffee. The school she teaches at has a half-day, and she's opted to work from home for the afternoon - with a quick break to meet her best friend and baby Montgomery at a quiet, upscale cafe not far from where the Lively-Gomez's live. Blake is already situated at a table, her futuristic-looking stroller parked, when Taylor arrives. Montgomery is in her arms, wearing an adorable little onesie patterned with sailboats, and the sight of them makes Taylor's heart bloom and ache simultaneously.

"Look who it is," Blake says to the baby when Taylor approaches. His response is to bury his face in her neck, and Blake explains, apologetically, "He's tired."

"I hear that, Monty," Taylor says, dropping her coat and purse into the vacant armchair across from Blake's. "Did you also try and prepare a bunch of first-graders for the annual springtime concert today?" She touches a hand gently to the baby's back. "Or did you just eat lots and look at all kinds of things? Because that sounds pretty exhausting, too, I've got to say." She brushes a light kiss against the side of his small head and then drops a kiss against Blake's cheek, too. "What can I get you?"

"The largest cappuccino possible and a croissant, please," Blake says, and Taylor heads over to the counter to order for them both.

Back at the table, she settles into her armchair and sips the americano she ordered. "So how's it going?" she asks Blake.

"It's good," Blake says, a wide, automatic smile appearing on her lips. "I mean, I've forgotten what sleep is, but aside from that..." She gives her head a little shake. "I have no idea how Sel gets through her work days without a nap."

"She must be tired," Taylor agrees sympathetically. Selena's wealthy family had overlooked her constantly, always favouring her little sister as their father's successor when it came to running the family business and she had been all too happy to step into the role as heiress to Lively Industries, a position Blake had never quite wanted. Even exhausted, though, Taylor can imagine Selena walking into a room with red-soled heels clacking and her red hair flipping over her shoulder, taking control of everyone in it. "Is she liking it? Motherhood?"

Blake nods. "She's sweet with him," she says warmly, and Taylor understands what she means. For someone like her, sweetness is a default mode. For Selena, it's rare and exceptional.

She sets down her cup of coffee and nods toward Montgomery. "May I?"

"Of course," Blake says, and eases the sleepy baby into Taylor's arms. He fusses a little at first, but then Blake leans over, into his line of sight, and murmurs, "Shh..." She brushes her fingertip over his cheek, and his eyes flutter closed again, his lashes unbearably tiny against his cheeks. Taylor can't help but sigh, her heart melting at the way his body relaxes against hers.

"Selena could not get over how easily he took to Travis ," Blake says on a soft chuckle as she sits back. "Like she thought she could impart her snobbery to him just by holding him, or something." She takes a sip from her mug and seems to study Taylor for a few seconds before she adds, "But don't worry. I'm sure Auntie Taylor will be the favourite."

Taylor tears her eyes from Montgomery reluctantly to smile over at Blake. "I'd say that I'm going to spoil him rotten, but I think you two will make quick work of that."

"We're pretty fond of him," her best friend agrees, breaking off a piece of her croissant and popping it into her mouth.

Taylor looks back down at the baby. He's sound asleep now, heavy in her arms in the best possible way. "Blake," she says softly. She lifts her gaze and says, in a voice that's still soft but infused with confidence, "I'm going to have a baby."

Blake nearly chokes on her cappuccino, spluttering a bit and then pressing a napkin to her lips. She coughs a couple times, looking at Taylor with an expression that's nothing short of stunned. "You're pregnant?!" she asks quietly.