Chapter 4: The Aftermath of Confusion

├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤

I stood there for what felt like an eternity, watching Liam disappear into the shadowed streets of the city. The rain had left the air thick with moisture, a cold mist clinging to my skin as I tried to process everything he had said—or rather, everything he hadn’t said. What did he mean by “I’m not who you think I am”? What exactly was going on?

I wrapped my arms around myself, suddenly feeling the chill settle deep into my bones. My mind replayed the last few moments on a loop. There’s more going on here than you realize. And I don’t want you to get hurt. The words echoed in my head like a warning bell I couldn’t ignore.

The rational part of me screamed to walk away. Liam was a stranger, someone I had met by chance, and now he was dropping cryptic messages, telling me to be careful, to stay away. It didn’t make sense. People didn’t do that without a reason. But the irrational part of me—the part that was drawn to him, that felt like we were connected in some strange, inexplicable way—refused to let me ignore it. There was something about Liam that went beyond simple attraction. There was mystery, danger, and a pull that I couldn’t shake.

I finally started walking, my feet moving automatically as I retraced my steps back toward my apartment. The streets were quieter now, the rain driving most people inside. As I passed by shop windows, I caught glimpses of my own reflection—disheveled, confused, lost. I didn’t recognize the person staring back at me. How had I gotten here, tangled in something I didn’t understand?

The truth was, I barely knew Liam, but somehow it felt like I had known him for longer. The way he looked at me, the way he spoke in riddles as if he were protecting me from something… it all felt too real, too personal. I couldn’t shake the feeling that this was just the beginning, that our meeting wasn’t just a coincidence. And that scared me more than I wanted to admit.

By the time I reached my apartment, the mist had turned into a drizzle again, droplets of water clinging to my hair and clothes. I fumbled with my keys at the door, my hands shaking slightly. Inside, the familiar warmth and quiet of my space welcomed me, but it did little to calm my racing thoughts.

I tossed my wet coat onto the chair and slumped onto the couch, staring at the ceiling. What now? I had so many questions and no answers. I wanted to reach out to someone, to talk about everything that had happened, but who? None of my friends would understand. They’d tell me I was crazy for even giving a second thought to some guy who barely made sense.

I grabbed my phone out of habit, swiping through my contacts, hovering over my best friend Callie’s name. She was the one person I knew I could trust with anything, but this… this was different. I hesitated, my finger hovering over the call button. What would I even say?

I sighed, putting the phone down and leaning back on the couch. It felt like my life had taken a sharp turn, and I was now standing at a crossroads. One path led to safety, to keeping my distance from Liam and whatever was lurking in his life. The other path… well, I wasn’t sure where that one led. But I had a feeling it wouldn’t be easy.

Despite myself, I felt a pull toward the unknown, toward Liam. I couldn’t shake the way his voice had dropped into that serious tone, the way his eyes had practically begged me to stay away. It was almost like he was trying to protect me, but from what? Who was he really? What was he hiding?

I pressed my palms to my eyes, trying to block out the whirlwind of thoughts. My mind kept circling back to one conclusion: I needed to know more. This wasn’t something I could walk away from—not yet. Not without answers.

As I sat there, debating what to do, my phone buzzed on the table, startling me. I snatched it up quickly, my heart pounding in my chest. The screen showed an unknown number, and for a moment, I hesitated, unsure whether to answer. But curiosity got the better of me, and I swiped to accept the call.

“Hello?” I said cautiously.

There was a brief pause on the other end, a crackle of static, and then a voice I recognized immediately.

“Alexis, you need to listen to me.”

Liam.

My heart stopped for a beat. “Liam? How did you—?”

“There’s no time to explain,” he cut me off, his voice urgent. “I didn’t mean to get you involved, but it’s too late now. You’re already in it.”

“In what?” I demanded, my frustration bubbling over. “What are you talking about, Liam? You can’t just keep saying things like that without explaining!”

“I know. I know it doesn’t make sense right now, but you have to trust me. This is dangerous, Alexis. You shouldn’t have met me. I’ve put you at risk.”

The anxiety in his voice was palpable, and it only made my confusion worse. My thoughts were racing, trying to make sense of his words, but nothing added up. “What do you mean I’m at risk? Risk of what?”

Liam’s silence on the other end felt heavy, as if he was weighing his words carefully before responding. “There are people—people who are looking for me. And now that you’ve been seen with me… they’ll start looking for you too.”

I felt a cold shiver run down my spine. “What kind of people, Liam? Who are you running from?”

“I can’t tell you everything, not over the phone,” he said, his voice tight. “But you need to be careful. Don’t trust anyone who asks about me, no matter who they say they are. Stay low for a while, and don’t tell anyone about this. Not even your friends.”

Fear twisted in my gut, and I gripped the phone tightly. This wasn’t just some mysterious stranger with a cryptic past anymore. This was real. Dangerous. “Liam, what’s going on? You’re scaring me.”

“I’m sorry,” he whispered, and I could hear the regret in his voice. “I didn’t mean for this to happen. I thought I could keep you out of it, but now that they know you’re involved, you have to stay away from me.”

“What?” I shot up from the couch, pacing across my small apartment. “I don’t even know what’s happening! You can’t just—”

“Please, Alexis,” he cut me off again, his voice breaking slightly. “Just trust me. For your own safety. Stay away from me. I’ll fix this, I promise.”

And with that, the line went dead.

I stood there, staring at my phone in disbelief, my heart pounding so hard I could barely think. What had just happened? One moment, I was trying to wrap my head around Liam’s cryptic warnings, and the next, I was being dragged into something that felt far beyond my control.

My thoughts spiraled as I sank back onto the couch, my legs trembling. This was no longer just a weird, chance encounter with an enigmatic stranger. This was something bigger, something I didn’t understand—and something that was putting me in danger.

And yet, despite the fear twisting in my gut, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was already too deep to turn back.

Whatever was going on with Liam, whatever secrets he was hiding, I had to know the truth.

Even if it meant risking everything.

├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤