Chapter 13: Descent into Darkness (Emma's POV)

I woke up that morning feeling the weight of dread pressing down on me. As I lay in bed, the sunlight streamed through the curtains, but it did little to lift the heavy cloud of anxiety hovering over me. I could feel it—Evelyn's presence was suffocating, closing in like a vise around my throat.

The planning of the baby shower had spiraled into an event that felt more like a spectacle than a celebration. The ideas Evelyn proposed, the decorations she insisted on, it all felt too much. I couldn't shake the feeling that she was trying to take control of everything, pulling the strings while I floated helplessly in the background.

I had to push back. I had to regain control.

After a restless night, I finally dragged myself out of bed and shuffled to the kitchen. I needed a moment of solitude, a breath of fresh air, but the moment I poured a cup of coffee and sank into a chair, my phone buzzed. It was a message from Evelyn: "Can't wait for the baby shower! I've got a surprise planned for you!"

My stomach dropped. I felt the cold grip of dread clutch my insides. What kind of surprise could she be planning? The last surprise had been the mural, which had sent my anxiety into overdrive. I needed to talk to her, to put my foot down before things went too far.

I decided to invite her over for an afternoon chat, hoping I could steer the conversation to something more grounded. I needed her to see that this wasn't just her journey; it was mine too.

When she arrived, she seemed even more vibrant than usual, her energy radiating off her like an electric current. "Emma! I have so many ideas for the shower!" she exclaimed, her eyes gleaming with excitement.

"Evelyn, can we talk?" I said, trying to keep my voice steady, even as my heart raced.

"Of course! What's on your mind?" she asked, her enthusiasm unyielding.

"I appreciate everything you're doing, but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed," I confessed, forcing the words out. "I want to be part of the planning, too. This is my baby shower, and I'd like to have a say in how it goes."

Her smile faltered for just a moment, a flicker of disappointment crossing her face. "But Emma, I thought you wanted it to be special! I'm just trying to help."

"I know you want to help, but it feels like you're taking over," I said, feeling my resolve strengthen. "I need to be involved in my own celebration."

She crossed her arms, the warmth in her eyes replaced by a chill that swept through the room. "Involved? You don't know what's best for you right now. You're going to be a mother; it's a lot to handle! You need someone who can manage everything for you."

I felt a surge of frustration boiling beneath the surface. "But I want to do this! I want to be a part of my life and my children's lives. I don't want to be a bystander in my own story."

"You think you can handle it all?" she shot back, her voice laced with venom. "You're not as strong as you think, Emma. You'll crumble under the pressure. I'm here to protect you from that!"

"Protect me? Or control me?" I challenged, my pulse racing. "I can't live like this, Evelyn! I need you to understand that!"

Her expression shifted then, something dark and unsettling flickering in her eyes. "You don't understand the lengths I'm willing to go to ensure you and those babies are safe. You'll regret pushing me away."

The tension in the room thickened, a palpable fear settling around us. "Evelyn, I just want a little space. I need time to breathe, to think," I pleaded, my voice trembling.

"Space? You think that's the answer? This isn't about space, Emma! This is about survival! Those babies are a part of me, too, and I won't let anyone hurt them or you!" Her voice rose, echoing off the walls as her emotions spiraled out of control.