Chapter 19: Empty Echoes (Emma's POV)

The morning light poured through the bedroom window, casting soft rays across the room. I stirred awake, the remnants of sleep clinging to me like a fog. The house was quiet, the peaceful sound of my daughters' breathing offering a soothing backdrop. For a fleeting moment, I felt at ease, as if the darkness that had haunted me for so long had finally retreated.

I got up, stretching my arms above my head and taking a deep breath. Today, I decided, I would confront my fears. I needed to see the house where Evelyn once lived. I had to know if she was truly gone or if she still lingered somewhere in the shadows of my mind.

After getting dressed and ensuring the twins were snugly wrapped in their blankets, I quietly left the room, careful not to disturb my mother, who was asleep on the couch. The weight of my decision settled in my stomach as I stepped outside into the bright sunshine. The fresh air brushed against my skin, but it felt oddly cold, sending shivers down my spine.

As I walked towards Evelyn's former home, the path felt familiar yet alien, like a nightmare I couldn't wake from. Each step drew me closer to the house that had held so many unsettling memories. When I reached the property, a chill enveloped me. The place looked abandoned, overgrown with weeds, and the windows were obscured by layers of dust.

The once cheerful façade was now a ghost of its former self, the vibrant colors faded and peeling. Cobwebs clung to the corners of the porch, and a heavy silence hung in the air, as if the house itself was holding its breath.

Where are you, Evelyn?

I stepped closer, my heart racing with a mix of dread and curiosity. I reached for the doorknob, but it was locked tight. The wood creaked ominously beneath my touch, and a wave of nausea washed over me. I had to know if she was truly gone.

As I walked around the perimeter, I could see remnants of a life once lived—an old chair tipped over in the backyard, flower pots that had long since dried out, and a swing that swayed gently in the breeze. But there was no sign of Evelyn.

I peered through a grimy window, trying to see inside. The interior was dark, cluttered with old furniture covered in dust, remnants of a life that felt eerily trapped in time. My reflection stared back at me, wide-eyed and pale, but I could hardly recognize myself.

What did you do, Emma?

The thought echoed in my mind, twisting like a knife. I stepped back, shaking my head as if trying to clear the cobwebs from my thoughts. There had to be a reason for this emptiness. Had I truly imagined everything?

I turned to leave, feeling a wave of relief wash over me as I stepped back onto the path. Maybe this was a sign. Maybe Evelyn was just a figment of my imagination, a manifestation of my fears and insecurities.

But as I walked away, the wind picked up, rustling the leaves and sending a shiver down my spine. I glanced back at the house one last time, the silhouette dark against the blue sky. For a moment, I could have sworn I saw a figure standing in the window, watching me with a knowing smile.

I stumbled backward, heart pounding. No! It's just the light playing tricks. I forced myself to look away and hurried back toward home, desperate to put distance between myself and that haunting reminder of my past.

Once I reached the house, I found my mother in the kitchen, brewing a pot of coffee. The comforting scent wafted through the air, grounding me once more. "Good morning, Emma! How are the girls?"

"They're still sleeping," I replied, trying to mask the lingering dread that clung to me. "I just went for a walk."

"Oh, that's good! Fresh air always helps." She poured a cup and handed it to me, concern creasing her brow. "Are you okay? You look a bit pale."

"I'm fine, just... tired," I lied, taking a sip of the hot coffee to steady my hands.

My mom studied me for a moment, then returned her focus to the breakfast she was preparing. I watched her move about the kitchen, and for the first time in days, I felt a flicker of normalcy amidst the chaos.

But that flicker was short-lived. As I turned to grab some fruit from the counter, the image of Evelyn's house flashed in my mind, the shadow I thought I had seen in the window lingering like a ghost.

She's gone. She has to be gone.

I focused on the twins instead, reminding myself that they needed me. I had to be strong for them. As the morning wore on, I tried to push away the feeling of dread, but it clung to me, whispering doubts into my mind.

Later that afternoon, while my mother tended to the twins, I found myself pacing the living room, my mind racing. I couldn't shake the feeling that I needed to confront this darkness. I had to make sure Evelyn was truly gone.

"Mom, I think I need to go back to the house," I said suddenly, my heart racing at the thought.

"Back to Evelyn's?" she asked, her brow furrowing in concern. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"I just... I need to know," I insisted, my voice trembling slightly.

She hesitated, concern etched across her face. "Alright, but I'll go with you. You shouldn't do this alone."

With that, we set off together, and as we approached Evelyn's house, the sense of unease returned, wrapping around me like a shroud. I stepped onto the property, my mother by my side, and I felt the weight of my past pressing down on me.

This time, I had to know the truth.