Chapter 1 - The Leaf Devil's Reunion

"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒂 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒓𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒔 𝒖𝒏𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂𝒍𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒅." - 𝑵𝒆𝒍𝒔𝒐𝒏 𝑴𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒍𝒂

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cold.

The light mountainous breeze whispered by me, its chilling gaze reminiscent of my own home. A blanket of deep blue, like an ocean painted upon a ceiling, encompassed the sky as heavenly white flakes of ice fell beneath me, building up to form a layer of freezing white snow. Dim rays of sunlight burst through the dawn clouds, illuminating what little of my surroundings my eyes could pick up. My hands and fingers, now bruised and scarred for what had felt to be eternity, stood purple and sickly, with the slow jagged movements of a man in frostbite.

And yet, I sat still as stone in thought. All I could do is think. Perhaps too much for my own good.

But I couldn't rid my mind of them. Rid my mind of Naruto. Of Boruto. Of the Village.

Of Tanjiro. Of Nezuko.

Of Shinobu. Of Giyu. Of Rengoku.

...

Of Tetsu.

And Kanae.

I shook my head, warding off those memories which fog up my mind. But they still lingered in emotion, bouncing around the empty chambers of my skull as my mind gourged upon them for sustenance.

I felt empty.

There was nothing anymore. Really, there wasn't much to begin with. But the illusion of comfort and gain only made loss more devastating.

Ahhh!

The screech forced my mind out of the comforts of thought. The voice, chilling and sharp in tone, echoed throughout the deep forest, urging a flock of birds to soar up in fright. I jolted to my feet upon the thick branch below me as I swiftly leapt downwards, pinpointing the source of the noise.

North.

A wooden figure in the distance caught my gaze, propelling my stature northwards as a gust of chilling air flew into my lungs. For a few moments, all that could be heard were the dull snow below crunching minutely with each of my steps. Soon, an expanse of snow would open up before me, urging rays of sun to bash down on my unprepared eyes.

Suddenly, I stuck my feet into the snow, releasing all of my momentum, as I peered on at the treacherous sight.

A massacre.

The massacre of a seemingly happy family.

Bodies, scattered and painted across the outside and inside of the cabin, lay oozing their blood, staining the snow below with a horrid stench. Flesh intertangled with hair and guts leaked out of their abdomens as more liquid bellowed out of their mangled throats. The corpses ranged from young to old, small and big.

However, a trio of corpses took my keen interest.

Three innocent children, now slain and belittled but subject to more mercy than the rest of their family, lay on the ground in front of the cabin. A puddle of red liquid, as smooth and silky as expensive wine, bubbled out from within the children's stomachs.

The middle child, a girl of a stature perhaps 12 or 13 years, lay cuddled and protecting her two younger siblings on either side. Her hair fell across her back, now undone and messy, revealing faint orange tips at the ends of her wavy black hair. Most interestingly, her complexion was of a soft white - much, much lighter than her fellow siblings.