Prologue: The Search

Tall Trees National Park
October 31st, 2015, 10:00 pm
~~~~~

Driving down the dirt road to the entrance of the Tall Trees National Park was officer Mila Young.

Surrounding the road was a thick forest consisting of... Well trees. Young wasn't concerned about what kind of trees they were as she was more focused on her current assignment.

Over the span of several days, a group of teenagers were reported missing after not returning from the park.

This wasn't the first time this has happened. Throughout the park's history, teenagers and young adults have had the tendency of spending the night inside the forest during Halloween.

After not returning to their homes parents would report them missing, causing police officers like Young to go out into the forest searching for them, only to find them wandering the woods lost and terrified.

Mila wasn't a stranger to searching for lost people, she's always been the go to officer sent out to search for missing people back in the city.

However, she's never searched for a lost person inside a forest before, let alone a group of teens. And being the best officer for things like this, she was sent without a partner.

Her colleagues did reassure her it would be easy and gave her tips on locations where lost teens have been found before.

The officer told herself this would be just like in the city as she glanced over to the passenger seat to see a map of the park laying flat with keys on top of it.

She arrived at the closed gate leading to the park itself. With a sigh she grabbed keys before getting out of her police cruiser and went up to the gate to unlock it's padlock.

After swinging the gate open, Mila went back into her car and drove further.

After driving down the dirt road for what felt like hours, Young arrived at the main ranger station.

She parked her cruiser in front and got out before making her way up the steps to the front door.

Looking over to the side she saw the lights of the main room turned on from window.

Knocking on the door, Mila heard footsteps rush over until the door opened, revealing a young man wearing a park ranger uniform.

He took a second to process her presence as he leaned against the door frame, his face one of concern.

Ranger: "Can I help you officer?"

Mila: "Evening, I'm sorry for bothering you so late but I'm here to search for some missing kids..."

The ranger nodded at her and he sighed in relief.

Ranger: "It's fine. You must be who they sent right? I was waiting for you to arrive actually."

Mila: "You were?"

Ranger: "Uh-huh. I want to give you one of my radios so I can stay in contact with you."

He went to the side for brief second before returning with a radio painted light green in his hands.

He handed it to her and pointed at it.

Ranger: "I'll be using this to keep in contact with you while you're out there."

Mila inspected the radio before clipping it onto her belt.

Mila: "You seem quite worried, any particular reason why?"

The ranger sighed as he leaned against the door frame again.