CHAPTER 4️⃣

New Kansas, Missouri📍
July 4th

Oᴍɴɪsᴄɪᴇɴᴛ

Today is Independence Day. Kamarie and Khalil's parents always do a cookout in their yard as part of their family holiday transition.

Families and friends come to every cookout their parents have. Everybody arrived except for Kamarie. Dante was at her place all night yesterday.

This morning Dante left and Kamarie went to the studio. Kamarie had to rush over to her place and change her clothes.

"Y'all see Marie around?" Melani asked the group.

"I haven't seen her, she is always the first one here." Amariah shrugged.

"Exactly, that's what I'm saying." Melani pointed.

"She just texted me that she was on her way here." Deshawn shows his phone.

"Okay, thank you, Shawn." Melani smiled. "Where is my man?" Amariah pouted her lips as she looked around.

"Girl, he's with Dante inside somewhere." Melani scoffed as she pointed.

"They needa bring their ass out here." Amariah mugged.

"Khalil can't go anywhere without yo ass for real." Deshawn laughed. "Literally." Melani agreed.

"Y'all needa to find y'all somebody and get out of my pussy." Amariah scrunched her face.

"Who is single? Girl not with me please." Melani cracked up and laughed. "Both of you are single and sad. Now let me go get Khalil and Dante." Amariah pointed and walked off.

"She just piss me the fuck off." Melani pointed at Amariah.

"She's not wrong, we need to start dating people," Deshawn said. "Wait, yeah, I need to get Cameron off my mind." Melani nodded.

"Or you and Cameron should try again. Y'all were together for four years." Deshawn said.

"Uh, uh, fuck that. I need to move on from him, I had enough of his toxic ass." Melani shakes her head.

Deshawn chuckled, "Both of y'all toxic, y'all meant to be." He shrugged.

"Who meant to be?" Cameron raises his brows as he walks toward them talking.

"Imma go get myself a drink." Melani cleared her throat as she walked away.

"Did I interpret something?" Cameron asked. "Nah, it was nothing." Deshawn waved off. "And where were you?" He asked.

"I had to visit my brother Christian in the hospital. He just got done with surgery." Cameron said.

"Oh okay, how is Christian?" He nodded. "He is better than ever, he is ready to get on the field." Cameron chuckled.

"This nigga never rest at all." Deshawn laughed. "That's what our Pops said." Cameron nodded and pointed.

A ᴄᴏᴜᴘʟᴇ ᴍɪɴᴜᴛᴇs ʟᴀᴛᴇʀ...

As Kamarie pulled up to the house, she could hear the distant chatter of her family in the backyard. Her heart warmed at the familiar sounds, but she had another destination first.

She slipped into the house quietly, knowing exactly where she'd find her mom. Sure enough, there she was in the kitchen, moving around with ease and grace as she prepared one last dish for the cookout.