Chapter 19

Adam was overwhelmed by pain, it consumed every part of him. He almost groaned until he heard a sound. Whispering. That was what Adam woke up to. He could sense there were about 3 people around him, talking in hushed tones. Adam decided to be quiet and bear the pain quietly.

"Why the hell did you bring the boy here of all places?"

"I couldn't just leave him to die in the streets!"

"Better him dead than us"

"Javier! You can't just say that. I couldn't just leave him to die in the streets like that. People would also ask questions."

So they were talking about him. So who saved him and where was he? The questions swirled around his brain, giving him a headache. There was also an itch behind his back, irritating him, but he couldn't move to scratch it. Every breath or movement sent waves of agony through his body.

He sensed that the people started moving around, waving their hands blindly as they were talking passionately about something. Someone was close. Adam tried to shift, trying to get this damn itch out until his body seized in pain, his breath hitching, sharp and uncontrollable.

"Wait, did you hear that?" a voice nearby said, the sounds of footsteps louder.

Adam knew he couldn't hide anymore. They already knew he was awake, and the pain was too much to bear. Maybe they could help, given they had apparently saved him.

He forced his eyes open, his vision blurry. The outline of someone bending over him came into view. He frowned, the sudden light making him squint.

"He's awake, and in pain," the person added, muttering.

Another voice spoke, loudly, filled with urgency. "Get a Doctor. Now."

Adam wanted to speak, ask where he was, what he was doing here, why he was in so much pain, who they were.

And where was Azalea?

But the words wouldn't come. His throat constricted, each shallow breath sending sharp jolts of pain through his ribs. The agony, paired with exhaustion, was suffocating. His vision blurred, eyelids growing heavier with each passing second. He tried to fight it, but the darkness was pulling him under. Finally, his eyes fluttered shut, and he slipped into unconsciousness.