Chapter 11

XxXxX

“This is too nerve-wracking…” Jaune mumbled to himself, playing with the drink he ordered as he waited.

He could barely keep himself from pacing around and looking like a fool, so he crossed his legs under his seat and tried to relax.

It was the first time he would meet with Sally, a good online friend that helped him more than his own family. A person that he talked about everything and nothing in the span of last year. A person that he never really saw nor heard outside of her raging in the lobbies of the online games they played together since she decided to meet up.

That last thought did bring a smile to his face.

Taking a sip of his coffee, he looked at the people walking beside the sitting area he was in. There was quite a bit of traffic, taking into account it was the beginning of the weekend.

Looking closer, for a second he could have sworn he saw his mentor and combat teacher in the small crowd but it had to be a coincidence because the older woman disappeared without a trace. That was strange, he didn't think that Miss Goodwitch would go around the entertainment district but who was he to judge?

“... Rusty?” Suddenly, quite a familiar voice got his attention, especially with that nickname only one person used.

Turning his face to the voice his mouth felt dry like a dessert, his eyes widening for a second as he saw Sally for the first time.

She was quite tall, probably close to his own height. Hair redder than blood cascaded down her back and onto her shoulders, a long bang hanging on the left side of her heart shaped face framing her nervously smiling expression. And the eyes… gods… they were practically glowing crimson as the light reflected in them.

“... Sally?” He asked, taking a bit too long to reply but thankfully she didn't seem to mind.

“Hi.” She replied with a smile, taking a seat just opposite of him.

A short silence followed, Sally seemingly content with waiting for Jaune to gather himself.

“Sally… It's good to finally meet you. Gosh… this is so…” He trailed off, trying to find words.

“Strange? Yeah… I know what you mean. I didn't have an opportunity to go for such an outing for a long time… everything seems to be so different.” His online friend replied, looking around them with a soft smile.

Hearing a soft murmur, Jaune saw that a few patrons seemed to take notice of Sally, even going so far as pointing at her discreetly. Not discreetly enough. He sent a glare to a small group, making them look away.

“Would you like something to drink?” He asked, pushing the menu that was on his side to her.

Picking the small booklet, she started to look through it, her eyes sparkling at the pictures of cutely prepared servings of ice cream and cakes.

It was such an endearing look he couldn't help but smile.

XxX

“This is totally a date.” Yang said, stuffing her face with strawberry ice cream.

“It's not!” Weiss replied heatedly, aggressively munching on her own, vanilla treat.

“We have to admit it does look like a romantic rendezvous.* Cinder agreed from the other side, drinking a coffee.

“Whose side are you on?” Weiss mumbled out, aggressively stuffing even more ice cream into her mouth, then regretting it after how cold her mouth became.

“No one's. I'm just stating the facts.” Cinder replied flatly. “Have you ever seen any woman smile and laugh so much with any man, outside of romantic encounters?” The black haired girl asked back.