An estate in Bath - Final part

Suddenly Emily screamed. Liam could see her back inside the grove behind the pond. In a moment he was there next to her. She clung tightly to her father. There was a man on the ground in the typical uniform of the guards. Liam went closer to him and could recognize Alfred, the oldest and the most trusted of all the guards.

-" He still breathes"- he said and called for an ambulance. At the same time he told Liza:- " Call the police"- She immediately did.

-" But now"- Liam said _" We can't waste our time. We have to save the fish in the pond or they'll die in an hour. He took his phone again and talked for ten minutes with a peremptory attitude.

After a while a tank car arrived and poured extraordinary quantities of water into the pond.

Liza was dismayed for what had happened and amazed by Liam's readiness.

Liam helped the men of the tank car as he could. When the water level rose again he finally relaxed and, turning to Liza, said:- " The danger has been avoided. But now we have to understand what happened. Maybe Alfred will tell us everything. We just have to pray for him to recover, especially for his family"- he added.

-" I hope so"- Liza replied. She was still upset. Liam noticed it and told Emily to get a glass of water for her in the shed behind them. After drinking, Liza felt better and thanked Emily with a smile. Then, turning to Liam, she said- "Your promptness has avoided the worst. I don't know what I would have done without you"-

-" But that's why I'm here; it's my job"- he replied with a smile.

Liza looked at Emily and, turning to Liam, she said:-" She's a very sensible and responsible girl. I don't think other girls of her age would have done the same"-

Emily came closer to her father and he covered her with his protective arm. - " She had to grow fast"- he said, kissing her cheek.

It was almost midday and they were all tired and in need of a good meal to refresh themselves. Liza said:- " Helen has surely made the lunch. I'll give her a ring to tell her you'll eat with me. Bring little Mark with you"-

Liam tried to reject the invitation saying: -" But you are destroyed! You need to rest without having to look after other people."-

-" I insist"- she said. - " It's better for me if you stay with me now."-

She was so resolute that Liam could do nothing but accept.

Liam drove Liza home, saying they would be back soon.

When Liza entered the hall, Helen asked her immediately: -" You mentioned something by phone, but now, please, tell me what really happened; I've been so worried for you all. Liza sat on the sofa and answered all Helen's questions. When she finished telling everything, Helen exclaimed:- " Luckily, Liam was with you, otherwise, what would you have done?"-

-" I don't know"- Liza answered thoughtfully. She wanted to discover the truth about that mysterious event. Fortunately, Liam and his children helped her to clear up everything. Little Mark, who was only seven years old, was so lively that he kept her distracted for some hours. He was fascinated by Liza; it was clear that he was suffering from his mother's absence. He hadn't really known her since she had died when he was born, but he felt the need for a female figure beside him. Instead, Emily stayed very close to her father and , maybe, even a little jealous of him. She wouldn't willingly accept another woman near him. She was seven when her mother died; she kept her memory alive and she was sure that no woman could replace her. At home, she took care of everything related to his father and brother even though her aunt, her mother's sister, gave her a great help in organizing everything. There had been a time when she had hoped that something would be born between her aunt and her father, but then she had to accept that this wasn't possible. Until that moment there hadn't been a woman who really interested her father. He was so in love with his wife! He had lived in complete dismay after her death. Only the presence of his children managed to shake him.