𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 20 ~ 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓣𝓻𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓘𝓷 𝓚𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓱𝓷𝓪

The journey to Vidarbha had been long, but Vrinda's mind was far from weary. As the chariot drew closer to the grand palace, her heart thudded with a strange mixture of anticipation and unease. A part of her felt that something far beyond Rukmini's marriage was about to unfold in Vidarbha. This feeling, along with the certainty that Krishna, her dearest cousin, was already on his way to help Rukmini, filled her with quiet determination.

The palace of Vidarbha came into view, its towering spires glistening in the afternoon sunlight, surrounded by lush gardens and high walls that spoke of wealth and grandeur. The flags of the kingdom fluttered gently in the breeze, but to Vrinda, the beautiful sight was marred by the knowledge of the turmoil within the palace walls—turmoil caused by Rukmi, who was intent on forcing his sister into a marriage she had not chosen.

Vrinda's chariot came to a stop, and servants hurried to greet her, offering pleasantries and refreshments. But Vrinda's mind was elsewhere. She could already feel the tense undercurrents of Vidarbha's atmosphere. The upcoming marriage to Shishupal, a political alliance that Rukmi had arranged, hung like a dark cloud over the palace, and Rukmini's distress was palpable.

Her heart ached for her dear friend, and she couldn't wait to see her. As she ascended the palace steps, Vrinda's sharp gaze caught sight of Rukmi standing near the entrance, seemingly waiting for her.

Rukmi's eyes lit up as he saw her approach, and Vrinda immediately felt a wave of irritation wash over her. She knew from the few letters Rukmini had sent her that her brother had a reputation for arrogance and a desire to control everything around him. Still, she hadn't expected him to try and impress her the moment she stepped foot in the palace.

"Ah, Vrinda!" Rukmi's voice was loud and full of what he must have thought was charm. "What a pleasure to see you here. Your presence brings a light to Vidarbha."

Vrinda forced a polite smile, though her patience was already wearing thin. She bowed her head slightly in greeting. "Prince Rukmi," she said, her tone formal. "It is good to be here, though I come under difficult circumstances."

"Difficult circumstances?" Rukmi raised an eyebrow, pretending ignorance. "Oh, you must be referring to the wedding. A joyous occasion, I assure you."

Vrinda's smile faltered. "Joyous for whom?" she thought, but said nothing aloud.

Rukmi stepped closer, trying to close the gap between them. "You must allow me to give you a tour of the palace. There are many marvels here that even one as graceful as you might find impressive. Perhaps we could start with the grand hall..."

Vrinda fought the urge to roll her eyes. She was in no mood for Rukmi's posturing. "That won't be necessary, Your Highness," she interrupted firmly, her patience hanging by a thread. "I am here to see Rukmini. If you'll excuse me."

She didn't wait for his response, turning swiftly toward the inner chambers of the palace where Rukmini would be waiting. Rukmi, clearly taken aback by her abruptness, followed her for a few steps but then thought better of it and retreated. His failed attempt to impress her did little to improve Vrinda's mood.

As she moved deeper into the palace, Vrinda's thoughts returned to Rukmini, the friend she had known since childhood. Rukmini had always been soft-spoken, kind-hearted, and dutiful, but Vrinda knew that behind her quiet demeanor was a woman who longed for the freedom to choose her own path. And now, with the shadow of Shishupal looming over her, Rukmini's heart was heavy with fear and dread.

Vrinda finally reached the ornate door to Rukmini's chambers and pushed it open, stepping inside. She found her dear friend sitting by the window, gazing forlornly out at the gardens below. Rukmini's usually vibrant face was pale, her eyes rimmed with the sorrow of the past few days.

"Rukmini!" Vrinda exclaimed, rushing toward her.

At the sound of her voice, Rukmini turned, and her face brightened, if only for a moment. "Vrinda!" she cried, standing up and embracing her friend tightly. "I'm so glad you've come."

"I wouldn't be anywhere else," Vrinda replied, holding her friend close. "You don't have to go through this alone."

Rukmini pulled back slightly, tears welling in her eyes. "Everything feels so hopeless," she whispered. "Rukmi won't listen to me. He's determined to marry me off to Shishupal, and I... I can't bear it."

Vrinda wiped away one of Rukmini's tears and smiled warmly. "Don't worry. Krishna is already on his way to help. I've come to stand by your side, and I will not leave until we've found a way out of this."

Rukmini's eyes shimmered with gratitude. "Thank you, Vrinda. Your presence alone gives me strength."

The two women sat down together, and Rukmini's face grew serious as she continued. "Vrinda, I need to tell you about someone else who might help us. His name is Karna. He's like a brother to me, and I know he would never allow me to be forced into this marriage."

"Karna?" Vrinda's brows furrowed in curiosity.

"Yes," Rukmini said, her tone softening as she spoke of him. "He's the prince of Anga—powerful, kind, and always looking out for me. We've been close for many years, and I trust him with my life."

Vrinda's heart skipped a beat at Rukmini's words. There was something in the way her friend spoke of Karna that intrigued her deeply. A brother-like figure to Rukmini? Vrinda had heard of Karna before, the legendary prince known not just for his valor and skill but also for his striking looks. As much as she tried to push the thought aside, the idea of meeting him made her heart quicken.

"He's already written to me," Rukmini continued. "He said he would help, and I believe him. But it won't be easy."

Vrinda listened intently, but her mind was racing. She felt an unexpected pull toward the idea of meeting Karna. The way Rukmini spoke of him—the trust, the respect—it stirred something in Vrinda that she hadn't expected. Perhaps it was admiration for a man willing to risk his position to save someone he cared about, or perhaps it was something else entirely.

"He sounds like a good man," Vrinda said, her voice thoughtful. "I'm glad you have him on your side. With Krishna, Karna, and the rest of us working together, we will find a way."

Rukmini nodded, though her expression remained one of cautious hope. "I want to believe that," she said softly. "But Rukmi is dangerous. He won't let this go easily. If we fail..."

"We won't fail," Vrinda interrupted, her voice firm. "Krishna is not one to give up on those he cares for, and neither am I."

Rukmini looked at her friend, comforted by her confidence. "I knew you would come," she whispered, her voice breaking slightly. "I just didn't know how much I needed you here until now."

Vrinda hugged her friend again, feeling the weight of Rukmini's worry and fear. As they sat together in silence, Vrinda's mind wandered once more to Karna, the prince of Anga. She wondered what kind of man he truly was—whether he was as noble as Rukmini described or if there was more to him than met the eye.

But one thing was certain: she would meet him soon enough, and something deep within her told her that the events unfolding in Vidarbha would change everything.

As she sat there, comforting her friend, Vrinda couldn't shake the strange feeling that her own fate was being woven into the fabric of Rukmini's rescue. There was something more, something greater than just this marriage, that was about to unfold. And though she couldn't yet see what it was, she knew in her heart that meeting Karna was only the beginning.

𝐇𝐞𝐲 𝐆𝐮𝐲𝐬 !

𝐃𝐢𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 ?

𝐄𝐱𝐜𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐞 ?

𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

~𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫 𝐑𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐢 💕