How's one to know?

Ivy. A name that has echoed through my mind nonstop for days now, weaving its way into my every thought until it takes over. It's annoying really, I have a life to get to and all I can think of is my husband's colleague, I don't even know why. Every time I close my eyes, I see red... Not anger, but long red curly hair that can't be workplace professional, then again nothing about her was professional.

She had the tongue of a sailor, cursing every sentence. At first, I was annoyed, another woman in my home, drinking from my fine china, and using a mouth like that, but after a while it became enchanting. Like a song to me the way the words I could never use flowed so casually from her burgundy lips, she was taunting me, and I didn't care. I was a good host though, filling the businessmen's cups, entertaining my husband's guests and being the best darn wife I could, at least that's what I told myself as my gaze drifted to her all night. She's the first woman on their team, the only woman, when Bill had told me he was going to be spending long nights at the office with a woman I was irked to say the least. Images of a blonde bombshell in stockings and a skirt a touch too short flashed before me, my husband hanging from her arms like the gardens of Babylon. Like the gardens, it wasn't real, and I knew it. Bill isn't the adulterer type; I am the first and only woman he has ever been with. We met five odd years ago at the library on our college campus. Bill was finishing his bachelor's in computer science, and I was just taking some general courses to get the feel for the world away from home.

Growing up I was quite an avid reader. With my parents busy all the time, and my sisters wanting nothing to do with me, romance novels became my ride or die. The day I met my betrothed I was rereading my favorite series, but our story is nothing from any of my romance novels, I can tell you that much; All I know is suddenly there was a scrawny man with thick glasses and disheveled hair sitting across from me typing furiously away on a laptop. Me being the go getter I pretend I am, struck up conversation, and the rest is history. I will never say aloud that I settled for Bill, but I know he's not the tall, dark and handsome man from my childhood fantasies. He's dependable. After college he got an internship at some tech startup, and I dropped out of college to work full time at a boutique downtown. We married shortly after he was given a full-time position at the startup, bought our first house, bringing our story to a few days ago in the front room of that sweet little ranch house in the suburbs of the city with this mesmerizing young woman. Ivy.

- Authors Note:

Hii everyone, I'm Ayva Vee, I haven't written fanfic/anything other than music and poetry in years so I'm a little rusty. This story is inspired by the Taylor swift song "Ivy." I have loved this song since the first moment I heard it, I could always picture a very vivid scene, so I decided to bring the scene to life. I want to make it clear that this is not a fanfic about Taylor herself, rather about the song, its story, and the characters I have created based off of this song. Many of the names in this story are from other Taylor songs, and I do make lots of Taylor Swift references, however if you're not a Taylor Swift fan and just like slowburn wlw romance, this is for you.