𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 33 ~ 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓕𝓲𝓻𝓼𝓽 𝓣𝓲𝓶𝓮

After the Festival

The vibrant energy of the festival still lingered in the air as the celebrations in Anga wound down. The streets were quieter now, the revelry of the day giving way to the serenity of the night. In the grand palace, the halls had emptied of guests, and the lights that had bathed the palace in a warm glow were slowly being dimmed. The rhythmic sound of drums and music had faded, replaced by the soft murmur of the night wind and the occasional laughter of a few lingering courtiers.

Karna and Vrinda had returned from the festival's festivities, the dance, the fireworks, and the celebrations still fresh in their minds. Yet beneath the surface of the public jubilation lay a quiet tension, one that neither of them could ignore. The closeness they had shared during the dance, the silent acknowledgment of their feelings, had awakened something within both of them. Something that demanded to be addressed, no longer content to remain hidden behind walls of duty and restraint.

As they entered the palace, Vrinda was still breathless from the intensity of the festival, but more so from the unspoken emotions that had passed between her and Karna. She had seen the flicker of warmth in his eyes, had felt the gentleness of his touch during their dance, and now, more than ever, she knew that he felt the same as she did. Yet, Karna, in his nature, still held himself back. He had yet to voice what she knew to be true.

Karna, walking beside her, was equally conflicted. His heart had surged with emotion during the dance, a feeling he could no longer deny. But as always, his mind waged a war against his heart. His sense of duty, the complexities of his life, and the fear of what a true commitment might mean all weighed heavily on him. But tonight, something inside him was urging him to break free from those chains. The feelings he had for Vrinda had grown too strong to ignore.

They walked in silence, neither willing to break the fragile quiet between them, both lost in their own thoughts. But as they reached the threshold of their private chambers, the stillness became unbearable. Vrinda hesitated at the door, her fingers brushing the handle, her heart pounding in her chest. She couldn't walk away from this moment. Not again.

"Karna..." Her voice, soft and uncertain, cut through the silence. It was a simple call, but in it was a plea. A plea for him to meet her halfway.

The Moment of Truth

Karna turned to face her, his expression unreadable. But beneath the surface, his mind was racing. He knew that Vrinda had feelings for him—she had confessed as much. And now, after all the time they had spent together, after all the moments of quiet understanding, he knew his feelings for her were just as strong. He had tried to keep his distance, tried to be the dutiful king and husband without letting his emotions take control. But it was no use. Every time he looked at her, every time she smiled at him or spoke his name, his resolve weakened.

He stepped closer to her, his breath catching as he saw the way the moonlight danced on her face, casting soft shadows and illuminating her features. Vrinda stood still, her eyes locked on his, waiting for him to make the first move. Her heart raced as he came closer, unsure of what would happen next, but hopeful that this moment would be the one to break the silence between them.

"Vrinda," he said, his voice low and husky. "There's something I need to say."

Vrinda swallowed hard, her heart thudding loudly in her ears. She had been waiting for this moment, for him to finally speak what they had both been feeling for so long. But now that the moment had arrived, she wasn't sure what to expect.

"I've been holding back," Karna continued, his gaze intense as he searched her face. "I've been trying to keep my distance because I didn't want to... I didn't want to complicate things."