Chapter One: Where.

September 15th, 2030, New York City.

"-Authorities have issued an urgent advisory for residents to seek immediate shelter following the detection of a large, unidentified object on a rapid approach trajectory towards Earth. Officials from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), in conjunction with international space agencies, have been monitoring the object's path and have determined that precautionary measures are necessary. Law enforcement and emergency services across the globe are instructing people to remain indoors and prepare for possible impact scenarios. Essential instructions include staying away from windows, preparing emergency kits, and staying tuned to official communication channels for updates. The object has been described as unusually large and moving at velocities not typical for familiar space debris or naturally occurring meteoroids. Stay safe, stay inside, and stay tuned for more possible updates."

None of us expected it. A large ship-like object had been flying towards Earth for about an hour, and emergency precautions were being made. I was sitting in English class when the authorities told every student and teacher to leave the premises and go home. "Leave now, go home, and lock your doors. Stay away from windows, and go to the lowest level in your house." Students were panicking and teachers were trying to calm them all down. Those who lived too far away to walk, stayed inside the school or went with a friend. None of us knew what was going on.

I walked inside my home and turned on the TV, watching the news, in some hope that we'd be okay. My older sister, Kyana, walked downstairs. She had stayed home because of a small cold she had gotten. Oddly enough, she got it the day this ship was spotted.
"Sorrel? What are you doing at home so early?"
"Have you been sleeping all day? Some officers kicked us out of the school. Apparently there's something in the sky."

She rubs her eyes and groans.
As she walks towards the couch to lie down, the TV shuts off. I stood up and hit the TV.
"AGH. The old thing never works!"
"Mum said she'll get a new one as soon as she gets back from her business trip."
"She said the same thing about the power box, but instead she paid someone to 'fix it'. The guy just ended up duct taping some wires and taking home $50 for a 7 minute job."

Suddenly, the lights start flickering rapidly. Kyana sits up out of confusion, and then turns towards me.
"Would you mind checking the power box down in the basement?" She calmly requests.

I take a flashlight down and find the power box.
Flick, flick.

I flip the switches up and down frustratedly. Kyana hurries down.
"What's going on?"

As she's halfway down the stairs, a large buzz rings in my ears. I faintly hear her scream, and then big thumps. I held my ears and shut my eyes, but it stopped almost as soon as it started.

Darkness.

I had dropped my flashlight, and the batteries fell out. I tried to feel the dark floor for two cold cylinders. I could hear Kyana grunting loudly, and it almost sounded like she was trying to get up, but couldn't. I eventually found the batteries and popped them in. I smacked the flashlight and smoothed my thumb against the button, turning it on. The flash dimly lit up the basement, enough to see my surroundings. I see Kyana lying face down on the ground, and her leg resting on the stairs. I walk closer and see a step has broken in two, and the other half has been stabbed into her leg.

We had lost power in our home, and Kyana had impaled her leg from falling down the old wooden stairs.

Before we had time to think, our entire surroundings started to shake. I held on to Kyana tighter than I ever had. I could practically feel my brain shaking in my skull. Nothing stayed in place. Jars and boxes started crashing down to the floor. I could almost hear the sounds of screams outside. A final earthquake had me thinking our house may have cracked in two. Kyana was breathing rapidly as she gripped the plank that rested in her leg. I tried helping her, but she yelled out of pain.

"Sorrel, I'll deal with this. Go check the third floor for some gauze and alcohol."
I nod. Scared, I rushed upstairs.

This wasn't our home.