Chapter IV

The moment Stéphane and Gabriel got out of the lodge, trying hard to keep their composure, the youngest handed the mic to the assistant.

"Ah, Mr Séjourné, here you are. We were worrying about you being late."

She says, keeping a professional tone despite her blushing cheeks.

Well, that's it, two persons heard them. It could have been worse.

The couple is separated, the European member leaving the hallway with the assistants as the Prime Minister remains on his own.

He breathes out, exhausted by this situation.

He heads back to the set to get his belongings back and finally being able to go back home. On the way, the journalists all avoid his gaze.

He was almost used to it now, being the country's Prime Minister was a loner position, and people allowing themselves to become close to him were rare.

However, when he reaches the set, putting back the mic and accidentally sharing a gaze with a sound assistant, the sight of him turning bright red confirms his suspicions.

"You heard it on set, did you ?"

He asks, whispering, silently praying that the whole situation never actually happened. His eyes widen in horror when the other man nods almost imperceptibly.

He turns around, the curious and amused gazes on him suddenly feeling like a weight on his shoulder.

"Just erase it. Can we just forget that it happened?"

He whispers, the idea of the audio leaking and going viral on the Internet sending an uncomfortable shiver all the way from his toes to the top of his head.

"We will do our best to erase it, it was a live you know."

The other man answers, quickly selecting things and clicking on his screen to hide any proof of his "meeting" with Stéphane.

Alright, everything is under control.

He thought to himself, loudly breathing out in relief.

He didn't hear the Rassemblement National's president heading to him, the sound of his shoes and heels usually so distinctive.

"What a performance, Mr the Prime Minister."

Gabriel freezes on the spot, his rival's deep voice too smooth to be genuine.

He looks over his shoulder, where their eyes meet again, Jordan's posture dripping from sufficiency at the idea of finally being able to put pressure on the other man.

"Is that the only thing you have to do? I thought you would be more busy with finding a new strategy to slightly elevate yourself in the polls."

Gabriel answers, his tone willingly cocky, knowing that changing the subject has always been effective against a man such as Jordan. After all, they are both politicians, they know how to avoid or to trigger sensitive subjects.

"Maybe you should find a new strategy. I don't think Mr Séjourné is able to help you as much as you think."

Gabriel frankly turns around, taking a small step closer. He hesitates a second, shared between answering honestly and emphasizing how misplaced his comment was, but at the same time, he knows better.

Jordan Bardella is a provocative one, and even if he is good at it, he is weak in the defense.

Gabriel smirks.

"I don't need anymore power, Mr Bardella. Prime Minister is more than enough for me now."

He says, waiting for the answer with a restricted impatience.