Chapter 1

It's hard, you know. Living with
depression and all? Like, I know smoking weed helps, but once my high dies it's almost like my demons never left.
When this smoke hits my lungs, it's like I can slowly destroy the demon crawling inside of me. I hit the bowl once, and the demon begins to fade. I hit the bowl for a second time, as I can feel the demon getting lighter inside of me. Third times the charm, when I place my bowl in between my lips and inhale deeply.
I hold this hit in the longest. It's almost like the smoke sitting in my lungs is a magnet to this now opaque monster. I exhale, and watch the smoke pour out of my mouth along with my demon. I'm feeling much more like myself now.
I sit back on an unpacked box, pushed up against the wall stacked on top of a couple others. I stick my head out the open window admiring the view. Fourth floor apartment with the most perfect view of the sunset. Tiny people always lining the busy streets of LA below me. I light my bowl, packed with the last of my "Girl Scout Cookies". It crackles into an orange ember as I suck in all the smoke I can. My eyes feel heavy, yet my mind feels as light and clear as ever.
Since I've finally gotten my California Medical Card, I can go to any dispensary around here. Which will probably end up being some time soon, because all this "having to be an adult" is really getting to me. I guess you could say it's nice to be away from my parents finally. They never really agreed with the whole medical marijuana thing, which I never understood. Well I mean they were never really understanding about my depression either. So maybe being alone for awhile would be my best bet. Maybe it will give me time to think. A new start?
I end up smoking myself out with the last bit of pot I have and falling asleep on my blow up mattress. I really should focus on unpacking today, but I don't really have the motivation without any pot. I roll onto my floor and sit there for awhile, observing the boxes towering all around me. All the furniture I ordered should finally be coming today.
I shower and get ready for the day, throwing up my dirty blonde hair and slipping into my converse. Though I can feel the demon sitting inside of me, I try to keep it away until I can get some pot in my system. I hop in the metal elevator and make my way to the floor. Opening the front door of my complex, a young man bumps into me,

"Oh ma'am! I'm so sorry.. I need to watch where I'm going hahahah!"

His blue eyes were surrounded by the brightest red I've ever seen. Clearly he looked stoned out of his mind...

"Oh no don't worry about it... hi I'm Natalie, I just moved here."

I extended my hand, in hopes he would shake it.

"Oh hey Natalie it's very nice to meet you! I'm Sam."

He firmly shook my hand and fist bumped me afterwards. I get some very hippie vibes from him. Not only because he reaked of pot and incense, but he had dark blonde semi longish hair that looks as if it hadn't been washed in a few days. His shirt was dark green with the word "psychedelic" dripping down it in a tie dyed font. He had no shoes on his feet. He continued on,

"What are you doing on this fine day, Nat?"

"Well actually... uh.. I was just about to head to the dispensary to pick up some more medical.." I said wearily, not too sure of his reaction. He began to laugh,

"Hahaha! Who needs any of that expensive medical shit, look, give me a call if you ever need some pot, I've got my own strain growing up on the 5th floor!"

I knew he was high.

"Ah really?? That's rad, I haven't bought weed off a dealer since I got my card..." I dug deep into my purse and pulled out a twenty dollar bill. "Maybe sell me some??" I smiled innocently.

Sam took the money and gave me a quick smirk, "Follow me!"

We both walked over to the elevator making small talk about what strains are our favorites and what we like to smoke out of.

He lead me to a door with the number 6 on it. it's red frame was identical to mine and only could make me wonder what was inside. Surprisingly, it wasn't locked and he swung the open the door. Sam quickly flicked the lights on. I immediately saw his pot plant. He had it out in the open?..

"Here's my place!" Sam presented me to his place. His whole living room was covered in gorgeous tapestries. His dark green couch sits snug in the corner of the room facing the flat screen tv. In front of the couch was also a coffee table. A pot plant sat on the table and Sam extended his arms out towards it. His squinty eyes and smiley face look so proud with his plant standing as tall as his mid torso. It had some nice buds on it, too. It let off such a nice aroma.
"I've been growing up here awhile.."
I smiled and said, "Impressive. It looks nice! Mm and the smell.."

"Come over here.." Sam said as he walked into his bedroom. I followed him in. It smelled like incense so bad, yet there was clearly lots of pot in the room. He had two large pickle jars filled with pot.

"What strain, holy shit!" I gasp looking at the nug he hands me. It is bright green with beautiful orange hairs.
"Blue dream!"

"I've gotten blue dream from the dispensary back in Rhode Island. I'd get an ounce for about 300 bucks."

Sam looked surprised, "300 dollars? Damn! Listen yo, I'll give you an ounce for like, 255 bucks. Normally like 260 but since you're like my new neighbor, I'll give you a discount."

I smiled. I thought that was Very sweet of him. "Really? Aw thanks for the
deal Sam. Could I buy a half ounce for now?"

"Oh yeah, that's totally cool." He starting pulling weed out of one of the jars. He put it on a tiny silver scale and started weighing out the weed.
"How much will that be?" I asked taking out my little black leather wallet.

"120 dollars." Sam said.

"That's actually a really good deal." I said while handing him six twenty dollar bills. I didn't buy the whole ounce because I wanna buy another half ounce at a dispensary. "Hey Sam, I think I'm gonna still go and explore around one of the dispensaries, do you have any recommendations?"

He walked towards me and handed me a fat baggie of some beautiful smelling pot. "Yeah, ya know if you go to West Mota Collective you could get a pretty good deal. My friend Violet works there too. Its just a few block down the street, you can't miss it."

"Thank you very much Sam. Could I possibly get your number so I could hit you up sometime soon?"

"Of course Nat." He smiled, his blue eyes much clearer than earlier. He put his number in my phone as we walked out of his apartment towards the elevator.
"Yeah anytime if you wanna smoke or buy pot call me or just stop by my apartment my door is always unlocked."

"Thanks Sam, I will. Its nice to have finally met someone here." Sam seemed like a genuinely nice guy. We walked outside, the sun was brightly shining in my eyes. I reached for my sunglasses at the bottom of my purse.

"Well it's really nice to have met you Nat, I'm glad to be you're new best friend." We both laughed as he went to fist bump me.

"See ya soon Sam."

"See you Natalie! Stop by whenever!"

I put on my sunglasses on my face and breath in the air, looking down the busy street. This is the first time I'm standing in Los Angeles in front of my own apartment. It's so surreal.
I continued strolling down the streets of LA, passing many unique faces. There were constantly people walking past me and in front of me. It was kind of overwhelming, but I kept on walking.
I was turning corners onto different streets looking all over for this West Mota Collective. I passed lots of restaurants and cute little boutiques when I finally came to it. There was a glowing sign in think red letters that said "West Mota Collective Dispensary". The signs hanging outside said things like "Buy a gram get half off your next!" and "Best stuff in town rated by High Times Magazine." I was excited to enter.
I open the door and immediately smell some good fucking pot!