Breakaway: Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Is it normal to wish that your sister wasn’t a stuck up brat? Maybe not for most people, but for me it’s my constant prayer. I heard her voice as a constant drowning in the back of my head, and finally decided to pay attention to what she was saying.

 “I mean, everyone knows I’ll get the part of Juliet, and Ryan Morales is a shoe in for Romeo,” she said.

I sighed. I really wanted the part of Juliet, not because I actually liked the play, god knows I don’t. No, I wanted the part to make my parents proud of me for once. But everyone loved Rachel so much. I didn’t stand a chance. No one saw me if Rachel was anywhere near me. And why would they? She attended all the right parties, socialised with all the right people and had an air of confidence around her. Something I would never have.

Even though were identical twins, it’s always painfully obvious which one is which.

I looked over at Rachel. She had her long blonde hair perfectly straightened and parted to the side, her big designer sunglasses covering her light brown eyes, her purple dress showing her well-defined body. I looked down at my old faded blue jeans, worn converse and grey hoddie, while twirling one of my brown curls through my fingers.

Rachel and I would never be like the twins who are the poster people for what best friends should be. We’re too different.

As we pulled into the parking lot she immediately went over to her cheerleading squad. They started chatting and giggling about something or another, making sure as many eyes where on them as possible. 

I sighed and headed for the class, not wanting to be on Mr Matheson’s bad side. He was an awesome history teacher, but God forbid, you get to class late.

Once again the day passed in a boring blur of teachers, classes and annoying cheerleaders.  

I was seated in the theatre. It was time for our drama class, and our group would be the last to audition for the school play of Romeo & Juliet.

A few seconds before the late bell rang, Ryan Morales slipped into the room. His black hair splayed in all directions, an easygoing grin plastered on his face. He spotted the chair next to me and immediately came over.

“You mind if I sit here?” he asked in a whisper.

“No,” I said politely. But even though I said it, doesn’t mean I meant it, any jock or popular who ever sat next to me did it either to copy my work, or tease me. Well, except one, but he’s been away for two years now.

“Thanks,” he said, sitting down just as Mrs Evens stepped up onto the stage.

I could feel my sister glaring daggers at me. It was no secret that she had her eyes on Ryan.

Mrs Evens told us she would be calling us up in alphabetical order to recite a few lines. She called up Brooke Andrews, and the auditions began.

About 15 minutes later, she called up my sister. She did an amazing job and everyone loved her. I didn’t have a chance.

“Vanessa Cadell.”

I took a deep breath and walked up to the stage. Mrs Evens offered me the script, which I took from her, and began to speak.

I recited some lines from the ballroom scene as well as I could, trying not to trip over my own nerves. I smiled at Mrs Evens and walked off the stage.

When I got back to my seat, Ryan smiled at me, “You were amazing,” he whispered once I’d sat down.

 “Thanks,” I whispered back, blushing beat red.