15.

August

Dinner had finally wrapped up, and the house felt a bit more relaxed as Aiesha and Cam got up to help Ms. Summers clear the dishes and start cleaning up. I lingered for a moment, unsure whether I should offer to help or just sit back, but Ms. Summers glanced my way with a warm smile, cutting off any thought of pitching in.

"August, don't even think about it," she said, waving her hand. "Focus on your business. We've got this."

I gave her a grateful nod, leaning back in my chair for a moment as I watched them head toward the kitchen. Cam was too comfortable, too at ease, and it rubbed me the wrong way. But I pushed that down, telling myself to focus on the bigger picture. The tension between me and Aiesha? That could wait.

"Let's talk outside," Miles said, standing up and motioning toward the backyard.

I followed him out, the cool night air hitting me as we stepped onto the patio. The sky was clear, and the stars seemed brighter out here—like the whole world had gone quiet, just for a moment. It was peaceful, a sharp contrast to the storm swirling in my chest. But as much as I tried to push all the noise aside, I knew Miles wasn't the kind of guy who wasted time. This wasn't just about small talk. He was here for something bigger.

Miles leaned against the railing, taking in the view before turning to me. "I just wanted to say, man, I really appreciate the invite to dinner tonight. It's rare to get a glimpse into someone's life like this—family, the personal side. I can see how much they care about you."

I nodded, feeling a flicker of pride at his words. "Yeah, I've been lucky. My mom—well, Aiesha's mom—she's been a solid support."

He nodded, but his focus shifted. "You know, I've been around a lot of artists, but there's something about you, August. It's not just the music—though you've got a crazy amount of talent. It's your mindset, the way you carry yourself, your vision. You've got something a lot of people don't."

I swallowed, trying to play it cool, but I could feel the weight of his words sinking in. This was the moment. The moment I'd been waiting for.

Miles paused for a second, then continued. "I see a lot of potential in you. More than just a rapper. You've got the drive to build something bigger, and I want to be a part of that. So, I'm here to offer you something." He took a deep breath, looking me straight in the eye. "A record deal."

My heart skipped a beat. I'd heard offers before, but this felt different. Miles wasn't some random executive looking to capitalize on the next hot thing. He saw me for more than that. But before I could react, he held up a hand.

"There's one condition," he added. "I know you've been talking about owning your masters, and that's a big deal. But that also means we need to find a middle ground. I want to make sure we're both set up for success."

I exhaled slowly, my mind racing. Owning my masters wasn't something I was willing to compromise on. "I need that control, Miles," I said, my voice steady. "I've seen too many people get trapped, lose their creativity, their power. I'm not trying to be another statistic."

Miles studied me for a second, a small smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. "I respect that. And you're right—it's your art, your legacy. So, we'll figure it out. I'll make sure the execs type up a contract that reflects what you need. You own your masters, we get the distribution and backing to push you where you need to go. Sound good?"

Relief washed over me, but I kept it in check. I wasn't about to act like I'd never gotten an opportunity before. Still, I couldn't deny the excitement bubbling up inside me. "Yeah, that sounds good," I replied, nodding. "Real good, thank you for the opportunity"