Part 6

A couple of hours later, the atmosphere in the house was a mix of hope and lingering tension. Avery sat on the couch, feeling lighter after sharing her struggles, but that sense of calm was suddenly interrupted by the urgent sound of Elizabeth's phone ringing. She glanced at the screen and her expression shifted."I have to take this," Elizabeth said, her voice tense. "It's the State Department. I'll be right back."Avery felt a knot tighten in her stomach. "Is everything okay?" Elizabeth forced a reassuring smile. "I'm sure it's just a routine call. I'll be quick." With that, she stepped outside to take the call, leaving Avery and Stevie alone in the living room.Avery's mind began to race. What if it was serious? What if something happened to her mom? The room felt smaller, the shadows creeping back into her thoughts.Stevie noticed her sister's distress. "Hey, let's not focus on that right now," she said, sitting down beside Avery. "We can't control what's happening at the State Department. Let's do something fun to take your mind off it. How about a movie?"Avery shrugged, her mind still spinning. "I don't know. I can't stop thinking about Mom.""Okay, how about this," Stevie said, determination in her voice. "Let's pick out the most ridiculous movie we can find. Something that will make you laugh. I promise you'll feel better."Avery hesitated but felt the tug of Stevie's enthusiasm. "Alright, but only if it's really silly."Stevie grinned, pulling out her phone. "Let's see what we have on streaming. I know just the thing." She began scrolling through the options, reading off titles in a dramatic voice. "What about 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes'? Or 'Zombeavers'?"Avery couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity. "Zombeavers? Seriously?""Absolutely! I mean, who wouldn't want to watch beavers that are also zombies? It's a masterpiece!" Stevie's playful tone was infectious.Avery felt the tension in her shoulders ease slightly. "Okay, let's do it."As they settled in with popcorn and dimmed lights, the opening credits of the ridiculous movie played on screen. Avery found herself smiling at the sheer absurdity of it all, the ridiculousness allowing her to momentarily escape her worries.Stevie glanced over, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "See? This is what we need! Absurdity at its finest. I think we should get matching Zombeavers T-shirts.""Only if we can wear them to family gatherings!" Avery joked, finally feeling some of the weight lift.They laughed together, and for a moment, the darkness that had loomed felt distant. But as the movie unfolded, Avery's mind flickered back to Elizabeth. She felt a pang of worry again, remembering the urgency in her mom's tone."Do you think she's okay?" Avery asked, glancing at the door."I'm sure she is," Stevie reassured her. "Mom's strong, and she knows what she's doing. She'll be back before you know it. Besides, she'd never leave us hanging in a zombie beaver crisis!"Avery chuckled, the tension in her heart loosening further. "You're right. If anyone can handle an emergency, it's Mom."Just then, they heard the front door open, and Elizabeth stepped inside, her expression a mix of relief and weariness. "Hey, I'm back!" she called out.Avery sprang up from the couch, the weight of her worry lifting at the sight of her mom. "Are you okay?"Elizabeth nodded, her smile reassuring. "Yes, it was just a minor issue. But I'm here now. What are you two up to?""Watching 'Zombeavers'!" Stevie announced, as if that explained everything.Elizabeth raised an eyebrow, laughter bubbling in her chest. "You two have the best taste in movies. Mind if I join?""Absolutely! The more, the merrier!" Avery said, feeling a wave of relief wash over  they all settled in together, with Elizabeth on one side and Stevie on the other, Avery realized that no matter the challenges ahead, she had her family by her side. With laughter and love enveloping them, she felt more ready to face the uncertainties that lay ahead.