Part 22

Just as Avery felt the warmth of connection with Jake, the door opened, and Elizabeth, Henry, and Stevie stepped back into the room. Their faces still carried traces of worry, but there was relief at seeing Avery safe."How are you doing, sweetheart?" Elizabeth asked gently, her voice filled with concern."I'm okay, Mom," Avery replied, managing a small smile. "We were just talking."Henry stepped closer, glancing between Avery and Jake. "I'm glad to see you're alright, but we need to discuss what happened today."Elizabeth nodded, her gaze turning serious as she looked at Jake. "Agent Reyes, given the circumstances, how do we ensure that this doesn't happen again? What steps can we take for Avery's safety?"Jake met her gaze with steady resolve. "First, we'll need to reassess the security measures currently in place. I recommend a personal security detail for Avery, especially considering her emotional state."Elizabeth's expression shifted slightly. "Is there a way to have an agent with her at all times?"Avery felt her stomach twist at the idea. "Mom, I don't want someone I barely know constantly around me. That's too much."Jake quickly sensed her anxiety. "I understand how overwhelming that can feel, Avery. If it helps, I can arrange for a female agent to be assigned to you, someone you might feel more comfortable with."Avery's panic flared. "No! I don't want anyone! Please, just let me be alone!"Jake nodded, respecting her boundaries. "Okay, I get it. But how about this: I can assign myself to you. If Elizabeth and Henry are okay with it, I can go with you wherever you need to go. I'll make sure you're safe and that you're not a danger to yourself, at least until you start to recover."Elizabeth and Henry exchanged glances, relief washing over them at Jake's proposal. "Would you be okay with that, Avery?" Henry asked gently. "We just want you to feel safe."Avery hesitated, still skeptical about having someone shadow her constantly. But looking into Jake's understanding eyes, she felt a flicker of comfort. "If it's him... I think I'd feel a little better," she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper. "I feel like I know him a bit more than a stranger."Elizabeth smiled softly, sensing the shift. "That's important, Avery. It's about your comfort. We just want to ensure you're safe while you heal."Jake nodded, his demeanor reassuring. "I'll do my best to make it feel as normal as possible. I won't be intrusive, I promise."Avery took a deep breath, the tension in her shoulders easing slightly. "Okay, then. If it's you, I can manage that.""Great," Jake said, relief evident in his voice. "We'll work together on this. You're not alone in this fight, Avery."As they all exchanged looks of understanding, Avery felt a sense of hope rising within her. Maybe, with the right support, she could begin to navigate her way through this darkness. With her family and Jake by her side, perhaps she could find a way to start healing.

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading this chapter, please remember to vote & comment, it helps with the motivation to continue writing.