Part 24

Avery had made significant strides over the past few months. The darkness that had loomed over her was gradually lifting, thanks to the support of her family, her therapist, and, surprisingly, Jake. He had become a steady presence in her life, accompanying her to therapy sessions and other outings, always just a few steps away, ready to help when needed.On this particular morning, Avery sat in the waiting room of her therapist's office, feeling a mix of nerves and anticipation. She could see Jake standing just outside the door, his demeanor calm and watchful. His presence had become a comforting anchor for her, a reminder that she wasn't alone in her  she waited, Avery reflected on how much had changed since she had first met Jake. At first, she had felt hesitant about having him shadow her. But over time, they had built a rapport that made her feel safe. Jake had a way of blending professionalism with an easygoing demeanor, and he often knew just what to say to ease her anxiety.When her therapist finally opened the door and called her in, Avery stood up, taking a deep breath. She glanced at Jake, who offered her an encouraging smile. "You've got this," he whispered.Inside the room, she settled into her usual chair and began to talk about her week—the progress she'd made, the challenges she still faced, and how she felt having Jake by her side. Her therapist nodded, guiding the conversation gently and offering insights that helped Avery continue to unravel the tangled thoughts in her mind.After the session, Avery emerged feeling lighter, her mind clearer. Jake was waiting just outside, leaning against the wall. "How did it go?" he asked, genuinely interested."Really well, actually," she replied, a smile creeping onto her face. "I talked about some things I hadn't really processed yet, and it felt good to get them out.""That's great to hear," Jake said, his eyes brightening. "You're doing amazing work. I'm proud of you."As they walked down the street together, Avery felt a sense of normalcy that had been missing for so long. They passed a café, and she paused, looking at the outdoor seating filled with people enjoying their morning coffee. "Can we stop in there for a minute? I could use a drink.""Absolutely," Jake replied, a smile breaking across his face. "Let's go."Inside the café, the smell of freshly brewed coffee and baked goods enveloped them. As they waited in line, Avery found herself feeling relaxed, almost excited. "I haven't been out like this in a while," she admitted."It's good to get out, to just... live a little," Jake said, leaning against the counter as he scanned the menu. "What are you thinking of getting?""Maybe a latte? And a pastry?" she mused, her eyes drifting over the display case. "That blueberry muffin looks amazing.""Great choice. I'll get the same," Jake said, stepping forward to place their order. While they waited, Avery turned to him. "You know, I appreciate you being here. I didn't think I would feel this comfortable with a bodyguard, but you've really made it easy."Jake chuckled lightly, a hint of warmth in his expression. "I'm glad to hear that. I wanted to make sure I wasn't just another obstacle in your life."Their drinks were ready, and as they moved to a small table outside, the sun shone down, casting a warm glow on everything around them. Avery took a sip of her latte, the rich flavor bringing a smile to her face. "This is so good," she said, savoring the moment."See? It's the little things," Jake replied, leaning back in his chair, clearly enjoying the break from their usual  they chatted about trivial things—favorite movies, music, and the latest news—Avery felt more relaxed than she had in a long time. It was easy to forget, for just a moment, the weight of her struggles. "So, what do you do when you're not guarding me?" she asked, playfully tilting her head.Jake chuckled. "Well, when I'm off duty, I like to spend time with my sister or catch up on my favorite shows. I'm a sucker for a good crime drama, believe it or not.""Really? That seems fitting," Avery teased. "You'd be the perfect cop on a TV show.""Maybe one day," he said with a laugh. "But for now, I'm just glad I get to hang out with you."The conversation flowed easily, and for the first time in a while, Avery felt a sense of normalcy envelop her. As they finished their drinks, she glanced around, taking in the bustling café and the laughter of people nearby."Thank you for today, Jake," she said sincerely. "I really needed this."He smiled back, his gaze warm. "Anytime, Avery. Remember, you're doing the hard work. I'm just here to support you along the way."With that, Avery felt a renewed sense of determination. She wasn't just surviving anymore; she was beginning to thrive, step by step. And as long as she had people like Jake—and her family—by her side, she felt hopeful for the future.

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading this chapter, please remember to vote & comment, it helps with the motivation to continue writing.