Part 25

As the weeks passed, Avery continued to make progress in her recovery. She felt more confident, gradually starting to go out on her own or with Stevie instead of relying solely on Jake. These outings became essential for her sense of independence and normalcy.One sunny Saturday afternoon, Avery and Stevie decided to visit a popular café that had recently opened in their neighborhood. The inviting atmosphere, with its cozy seating and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee, made it the perfect spot for a catch-up. As they settled into a corner table, the warm light streaming through the windows instantly lifted Avery's spirits.While they perused the menu, Avery suddenly heard a familiar voice call her name. Turning around, she was pleasantly surprised to see Jake approaching, a smile on his face. Beside him stood a young woman with dark hair and bright eyes—his sister."Avery! Stevie! Fancy seeing you here!" Jake exclaimed, gesturing to the girl next to him. "This is my sister, Mia.""Hi! Nice to meet you!" Mia said, her expression warm but curious. "I've heard about you, Avery. Jake hasn't shared too many details, though.""Only what's appropriate, I promise," Jake interjected with a playful grin.Avery smiled, feeling a little shy but excited. "Well, it's nice to finally meet you, Mia. I've heard a bit about you, too. Jake talks about you often."Mia's eyes lit up. "All good things, I hope?""Definitely!" Avery replied, trying to ease the initial awkwardness. "So, what brings you here?""I just wanted to check out this café with Jake. I love trying new places," Mia explained. "What about you two?""We were just looking for a cozy spot to hang out and grab some coffee," Stevie said, her enthusiasm shining through.After a moment of thought, Jake suggested, "Why don't we all sit together? We can enjoy our coffee as a group."Avery felt a flutter of nerves but nodded. "Sure, that sounds great!"As they settled at a larger table, Avery decided to initiate the conversation. "So, Mia, what do you like to do when you're not hanging out with Jake?"Mia smiled, clearly pleased to be asked. "I love photography and hiking. I'm always looking for new trails to explore. How about you?"Avery felt a sense of relief as they found common ground. "I'm into painting and photography too! It's a great way to express myself.""That's awesome! I'd love to see some of your work," Mia said, leaning in with interest. "Jake only told me you were really talented but didn't give me any specifics.""Probably for the best," Jake teased, crossing his arms with a grin. "I can't let you know everything, or you'll become more interested in Avery than me."Avery laughed, enjoying the lighthearted banter. "Well, I can show you some pictures sometime, if you'd like.""I'd love that! And we should totally do a photography day together—maybe explore some trails?" Mia suggested, her eyes sparkling.Stevie chimed in, "That sounds like a blast! I'd love to join too."Jake watched the three of them with a sense of pride, happy to see his sister and Avery connecting. It was a reminder of how important friendships could be in the healing they finished their coffee and prepared to leave, Avery felt grateful for the unexpected turn of events. Spending time with Mia was refreshing, and she realized that building new friendships was a crucial part of her healing journey.Before they parted ways, Mia turned to Avery. "Let's definitely plan that photography day! I can't wait.""Me neither!" Avery said, her smile genuine. "I'm really glad we ran into you today."Jake smiled, feeling the bond growing between the two girls. "Looks like you both hit it off."With contact information exchanged, Avery walked away from the café feeling lighter, the warmth of new friendship adding to her healing journey. The future was still uncertain, but now it felt a little brighter, filled with possibilities.

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading this chapter, please remember to vote & comment, it helps with the motivation to continue writing.