18: High Spirits, Low Morals

✯ ✯ ✯

✯ ✯ ✯

Unbelievable...

Y/N let out a long exhale as the door to the interrogation room clicked shut behind her, the lingering tension from Jungkook's smug little 'tap dance' fading as she walked down the hallway. Each step felt like peeling off a too-tight jacket. She rolled her shoulders, though the echo of his smirk still prickled under her skin.

Every time he flashes that cocky smile, it's driving me crazy.

The precinct murmured—phones ringing, tired chatter rising and falling like a distant wave. Finally, the stiffness began to ease, her pulse settling back into its usual rhythm.

As she rounded the corner, she nearly collided with Yoongi. He was hovering over the water cooler, like he'd been dragged through the day backwards. His hair was a mess, dark circles under his eyes, but there was a hint of relief there, too.

"Whoa, careful," Yoongi muttered, stepping aside before she bowled him over.

Y/N cracked a small smile. "Perfect timing. How's Yoona?"

Yoongi rubbed his face with both hands, exhaustion palpable, but he managed a small smile. "Fever broke. Mom's on babysitting duty. Kid's a trooper."

Y/N leaned against the wall, crossing her arms. "Tougher than you, clearly."

He huffed, shaking his head. "Didn't even whine about her favorite stuffed bunny going MIA. Meanwhile, I'm out here losing my mind."

Y/N snorted. "She's got more sense than you, clearly."

Yoongi's eyes narrowed, but there was a flicker of amusement behind it. "Says the woman who let Jeff stroll in here to play catch-up."

Y/N groaned, rolling her eyes. "God. Don't remind me."

"What'd that jackass want this time? His dignity back?"

She snorted. "Please. He's never had that. No, he wanted the baseball bat he gave me. Apparently, it's worth something now."

Yoongi's expression shifted from irritation to disbelief. "Wait... the Shohei Ohtani bat? The one he practically begged you to keep?"

Y/N grinned, shaking her head. "Yep. Guess it's more valuable than I thought. Should've clocked him with it when I had the chance."

"Should've," Yoongi muttered, shaking his head. "What an idiot. And you gave it back?"

"Nah," Y/N shrugged, a lazy smirk on her face. "Let him sweat it out."

"Good. That guy's a piece of work."

Y/N sighed and glanced over her shoulder, still feeling the weight of Jungkook's presence. "Speaking of pieces of work... someone finally coughed up his alibis."