X.

Lea

Saturday arrived, and I spent most of it running errands, each task a distraction from the gnawing urge to call my dad. I'd rehearsed what I'd say a hundred times in my head, but every time I lifted my phone, my courage faltered. I pushed those thoughts aside as the sun began to set, casting a warm, golden light that filtered through my window, signaling it was time to get ready.

I stood in front of the mirror, studying my reflection. Deciding to keep things simple yet elegant, I pulled my long, wavy hair into a high ponytail, leaving a few soft strands to frame my face. The ponytail swayed gently as I moved, adding a playful touch to my look.

For the dress, I chose a baby blue color that hugged my curves perfectly. The fabric was soft and lightweight, the flowy neckline cascading just enough to add a hint of allure without being too revealing. The hem stopped a few inches above my upper thighs, showcasing my toned legs and the white heels I had chosen to wear. They added just the right amount of height, giving me an extra boost of confidence.

As I stepped back to admire the whole look, I felt a mix of excitement and nerves. The baby blue complimented my medium skin tone beautifully, while the contrast of the white heels made my legs look endless. I applied a touch of makeup—just enough to accentuate my dark brown eyes and add a soft blush to my cheeks.

Taking a deep breath, I practiced my smile in the mirror. Tonight was about letting go, enjoying the moment, and for once, not thinking about anything else. I was ready to step into the massive house of Delta Xi, even if my head still ached with unspoken words and lingering doubts.

I decided to take an Uber to the Delta Xi party, fully aware that I would be indulging in a few drinks tonight. As I pulled up to the house, the pulsating lights and thumping bass filled the air, already drawing in a crowd. I stepped out of the car, the excitement swirling around me, and made my way toward the entrance.

It was only 7 p.m. but the line to get into the fraternity house was easily half a mile long. The senior guarding the door glanced up and recognized me instantly. His face broke into a friendly smile. "Lea! What's up!" he said, stepping aside. "Go on in; we don't want to keep you waiting." He winked.

"Thanks! You're the best," I replied, my confidence surging as I brushed past the other partygoers, who were still waiting in line.

As I walked inside, I could feel the eyes on me. It was nothing new—I was used to the lingering stares. After all, I had spent years honing my appearance, and tonight was no exception. I caught a few appreciative glances and felt a surge of confidence.

I quickly scanned the room and spotted Rosie and Avery near the bar, animatedly discussing something. As I approached them, they turned and their faces lit up with recognition.

"Lea!" Rosie exclaimed, throwing her arms around me in an enthusiastic hug. "You look amazing! That dress is everything!"

"Thanks! I needed a little something special for tonight," I replied, feeling a flutter of happiness at their compliments.

"Special is an understatement," Avery chimed in, eyeing my dress with approval. "You're going to turn heads all night."

"You two say that like you don't look amazing yourselves! And besides, I don't know if me turning heads tonight is a good thing," I joked, glancing around the bustling room.

"Who cares? Let's just enjoy ourselves," Rosie urged, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "What do you want to drink?"

"I'll take whatever you're having," I said, shrugging off any reservations.

As Rosie made our drinks, I could feel the atmosphere shifting, the energy crackling like electricity around us. The three of us found a quieter corner, where the music was still loud but the chatter was more manageable.