Chapter 10: David's Confession

"Sometimes, the people we trust the most can be the ones who hurt us the deepest."

I sat alone in my study, the letter from Charles Goodman weighing heavily on my mind. The words seemed to echo endlessly, mingling with the cold silence of the room. The truth about Alexander's past gnawed at me, leaving me with more questions than answers. I needed a distraction, a break from the tumult of my thoughts, and David's unexpected visit was a welcome diversion.

David arrived just as the sun was setting, casting a golden hue across the room. His presence brought a flicker of comfort amid the swirling chaos of my emotions. We settled into the plush chairs by the window, the city lights beginning to twinkle below us. He looked different—his usual easygoing demeanor replaced by a serious, almost somber expression.

"I'm glad you came," I said, trying to mask my anxiety with a forced smile. "I've been meaning to talk to you."

David nodded, his gaze thoughtful as he took a seat. "I'm here for you, Sophia. I heard about your troubles. I wanted to see if there was anything I could do."

I appreciated his concern, but there was an undercurrent of unease in his voice that made me wary. "It's been... difficult," I admitted. "Alexander's past, his family—it's all more complicated than I thought."

David's eyes softened with empathy, but there was a tension in his posture that I couldn't ignore. "I can imagine. Sometimes, we only see the surface of things. The reality is often much harsher."

I tilted my head, studying him closely. "You know, you've always been there for me. I can't help but wonder—what's been going on with you? You seem distant lately."

David hesitated, a flicker of something unreadable passing across his face. He cleared his throat, leaning forward slightly. "Sophia, there's something I need to tell you. Something important."

My heart raced, sensing the weight of his words. "What is it, David?"

He took a deep breath, his eyes locking onto mine with an intensity that made my pulse quicken. "I've been struggling with my own issues. And... I've been keeping secrets from you."

My breath caught in my throat. "Secrets? What do you mean?"

David's gaze dropped to his hands, clenched tightly in his lap. "For months now, I've been working with Henry Marshall."

The words hit me like a punch to the gut. "What? Why?"

David's eyes were full of regret. "Henry approached me with a proposal. He wanted to destabilize Knight Enterprises, and I—" He paused, struggling with his next words. "I agreed to help him. At first, I was just trying to get closer to the truth about Alexander's business dealings, but as time went on, it became more complicated. I didn't expect to get so entangled."

My mind raced as I processed his confession. "You've been working with Henry? How could you? You know how much Alexander and I are trying to fix things!"

David's expression was one of deep remorse. "I never meant for things to go this way. I thought I could use the information to help you, to find a way to fix things without causing harm. But it's gotten out of hand."

I felt a surge of betrayal and confusion. "So, everything you've been doing, every conversation we've had—how much of it was a lie?"

David's face was a mask of guilt. "I never lied to you about my feelings, Sophia. I care about you deeply, and that's why I'm telling you now. I want to make things right, but I understand if you can't forgive me."

Before I could respond, the room's atmosphere shifted, and a shadow fell across the doorway. I looked up to see Alexander standing there, his face a cold mask of disbelief. The tension between him and David was palpable, an electric charge that made the air feel thick and suffocating.

"What's going on here?" Alexander's voice was icy, each word sharp and controlled.

David stood up quickly, his face pale. "I was just—"

"David, don't," Alexander cut him off. "I know exactly what you've been doing."

The realization of Alexander's awareness hit me hard, and I felt a pang of betrayal not just from David, but from the entire situation. I was caught in a web of deceit and manipulation that seemed to be closing in around me.