Bittersweet Pt.1

This was it.

The world below was on mute. I stood at the top of the staircase, the spotlights catching my dress so it sparkled and glowed where needed. My dress was simple, but extravagant at the same time. It was a grey strapless heart-shaped bodice encrusted with glittering crystals. There was a black band of silk around my waist where it then flared out into a A-line skirt that hovered just above my knees. My usually wild brown curls were straightened and gently pulled back on the side by two glittering clips.

One hundred and seventy-five pairs of eyes were on me, waiting on my descent.

I took one cautious step after the other and scanned the crowd. Right at the base of the steps were my friends. Further in the crowd I saw looks of envy, awe and plain admiration. I smiled knowing this night would be one I would remember forever. With each step that I took, the world was starting to fill with sounds. From the top, everything seemed so far away- a dream. But when I reached the last step, it really became official. At the bottom I was embraced by people giving me the cautious one armed hugs as if they were afraid they would break me.

After a few minutes my friends who I'd seem to lose through the swarm of hugs were by my side laughing and hugging me. I heard echoes of voices all around me repeating the same thing: "Lea, you look gorgeous!"... "Amalea, you look so pretty!" and "Happy Sweet 17!"

The place looked amazing. Music was blasting from the wall speakers and everyone was either dancing, chatting, or at the bar. All of the furniture on the ground floor was removed, replaced by a dance floor and a stage which held the large DJ booth. Looking down I saw lights under the tiles, flashing in a rhythmic pattern as if they were dancing to the beat. From ceiling to floor the walls were covered in some loose material that reminded me of silk. A large disco-ball hung from the ceiling strategically placed so that it was able to reflect the rays of strobe lights throwing them across the room. Most of the guest had neon jelly bracelets on their wrist that created streaks of color as they moved their hands to the beat of the music. Fog emanated from an unknown source, finalizing the 'Nightclub' feel.

I made a mental reminder to thank my mom later.

My friends and I danced for what felt like forever until my name was called on a microphone.

I was ushered by the crowd so I was standing center stage. My mother following the party dress code put on a dazzling dress of her own. Half of the dress was black, the other white. Divided by one slim black sash embedded with small crystals that went from her right shoulder down to the hem of her dress on her left thigh. The dress sounds pretty short, but when you factored in my mom's stagnant height of 5'2 and teenage sized proportions- she fit right in.

"Hun, come up on stage!" She said eagerly motioning for me to hurry up. Picking up the pace I made it up on the stage almost breathless.

"So everyone, we have a present for Amalea outside. If you could please make your way to the front lawn I would appreciate it." The crowd not wasting a beat turned around and started heading out the front door.

I practically screamed with excitement as I jumped off the stage and out to my front lawn. The September night had an unusual bite to it, but the adrenaline and excitement were pumping through my veins, making me too happy to care. Everyone stood outside the house, anticipation crackling through the air. I was at the front of the crowd waiting for what I knew was bound to emerge out of the dark street and come up the driveway. A couple of seconds passed and my father pulled up in a brand new car.

He parked and tossed me the keys. "Thank you dad!" Excited, I climbed inside. It was a BMW convertible that I had always wanted. For two years I had been begging for this car. The black paint job gleamed under the moonlight. A door slammed and Elliot was sitting in the passengers seat, accompanied by another door slam that brought Cassidy, my brother, and Mia.