Chapter 3: Out of Place

Izzy stood outside the tall, imposing building of her new school, her stomach twisting with nerves. The large sign that read "Westbridge Academy" loomed above her, and despite the stream of students bustling inside, she felt completely alone. She pulled her backpack higher on her shoulder and took a deep breath.

It’s just another school, she told herself. Just another day.

But no matter how much she tried to convince herself, the pit in her stomach refused to disappear. She already knew how this would go. She would be "the new girl"—again. The one nobody really knew or cared about, the one who didn’t fit in.

Inside the school, the hallways felt like a maze of unfamiliar faces and whispered conversations. Her shoes squeaked slightly on the polished floor as she walked to her first class, clutching the printed schedule in her hand.

"Hey, new girl!" a voice called out behind her. Izzy kept walking, pretending she hadn’t heard, but the knot in her stomach tightened.

"Yeah, you! The one with the weird backpack," another voice chimed in, followed by a giggle.

Izzy’s cheeks flushed. She hadn’t thought her backpack was weird—it was just the one she’d had since her last school. She quickened her pace, but the whispers followed her through the hall.

"She’s probably already crying," someone else murmured, loud enough for her to hear.

Izzy clenched her fists at her sides. She could feel the stares, the mocking smiles, and she hated it. She hated being the target. By the time she found her first classroom, the sinking feeling in her chest had only deepened.

Class wasn’t much better. The teacher introduced her to the rest of the students, and Izzy could feel their eyes on her as she walked to her seat. She sat down quickly, avoiding eye contact with anyone, hoping that if she stayed quiet enough, they’d just leave her alone.

But that was wishful thinking.

At lunch, Izzy sat by herself in the corner of the cafeteria, poking at her food without much interest. She could hear the giggles from the table behind her, the same group of girls who had whispered about her earlier.

"Look, there she is again. Poor thing, she doesn’t have any friends," one of the girls said mockingly.

Izzy felt the tears welling up in her eyes but blinked them away. She wasn’t going to cry—not here. Not in front of them. But she couldn’t stand another minute in this school. She needed to get out.

Without thinking, Izzy stood up, grabbed her bag, and walked straight out of the cafeteria. No one tried to stop her, and that was fine by her. She walked through the hallways, her heart pounding in her chest. Instead of heading to her next class, she pushed through the doors leading outside and didn’t look back.

The crisp air hit her as soon as she stepped off the school grounds, but she didn’t care. She wasn’t going back. Not today.

---

Meanwhile, in the heart of London, Daniel stepped off the train from the small village he called home. It was a commute he had made countless times, and while most people found the daily trek to the city tiresome, Daniel didn’t mind it. The village was peaceful, and his job in the city kept him grounded—a balance between the calm of home and the excitement of London.

Before heading to work, Daniel decided to stop by his favorite coffee shop, a small, tucked-away place that few people seemed to know about. The familiar smell of coffee beans hit him as he entered, and he smiled, already looking forward to his usual order.

"Morning, Daniel," the barista greeted him with a friendly nod. "The usual?"

"Morning, Jess. Yeah, the usual," Daniel replied, pulling out his wallet.

As he waited for his coffee, he glanced around the shop. It was mostly empty at this hour, which he appreciated. London could feel overwhelming sometimes, with its crowded streets and fast-paced life, but this coffee shop was like an oasis.

He took a seat by the window, watching the people outside rush by. He wondered about their lives—where they were going, what their stories were. London was full of stories, and sometimes he wished his own life were a little more exciting. But then again, he liked his routine. It was safe, predictable.

When his coffee arrived, Daniel took a sip and let the warmth spread through him. He pulled out his phone, scrolling through emails from work, but his mind wandered. He hadn’t expected to feel so…restless today. Maybe it was the city, or maybe it was just him.

Either way, something in the air felt different, like the day had more in store than just his regular commute and another ordinary day at the office.