Driven

Ivan was silent, the blunt now hanging from his lips as he took another sharp turn, the tires screeching against the asphalt. The beach came into view, dark and foreboding under the moonlight. He finally pulled to a stop in the sand, the car idling as they both stared out at the crashing waves.

He killed the engine, and for a moment, there was only the sound of the ocean.

"Maybe this time, I don't come back," Ivan said, more to himself than to Thomas.

Thomas leaned back in his seat, looking up at the stars. "You've said that before, Ivan. Hell, you've said it a lot." He paused, choosing his next words carefully. "But you always do. So, what's different this time?"

Ivan was quiet, eyes fixed on the horizon. He took one last drag from the blunt before flicking it into the sand. "This time... it's not about the girl. It's not about some stupid fight or the love I can't fix." His voice cracked slightly, and he shook his head. "I just... I'm tired, Thomas. Everything's too much. Too... loud."

Thomas looked over at him, understanding in his eyes. "Life can be too loud, sure. But drowning it out doesn't make it better. You've got to find another way, Ivan."

"You sound like some therapist," Ivan scoffed, but there was no bite to his words. He sighed deeply, leaning his head back against the seat. "Why do you always follow me here? I don't need anyone watching me when I'm at my worst."

"Because I know you," Thomas said simply. "I know you'd rather drown than ask for help. But I'm not letting that happen."

Ivan let out a bitter laugh, rubbing a hand over his face. "You're older, you think you know better, huh? Got all the answers for this?" He gestured vaguely toward the water. "For this mess?"

Thomas shook his head. "I don't have all the answers. But I do know that this," he motioned to the ocean, "isn't going to solve anything. It's just going to leave everyone wondering why."

Ivan went quiet again, staring at the waves as if they might offer some kind of answer.