Chapter 10

As Sebastian reached the ground, the weight of the situation settled upon him-Aeson's weary expression told him that the battle had taken its toll. The clang of hooves and cries of pain echoed around him, but Sebastian focused on Aeson, whose presence brought a flicker of hope amidst the chaos. Embracing his friend tightly, he surveyed the carts carrying the heavily wounded through the gates of Thessaloniki.

"How are you Sebastian?" He greeted, clasping his hands around his back. Sebastian could feel the broken hilt against his sternum.

"Better than you it seems," he chuckled. "I'm thankful you all made it here in one piece." Aeson felt a surge of pride mixed with concern as he observed the transformation of his princess, the fierce warrior ready to defend her kingdom with both grace and strength. Her fierce determination reflected in her eyes, the morning light highlighting the intricate details of her armor, made him realize that beneath her regal exterior lay a formidable leader prepared to face the challenges ahead. With every glance, he recognized that this was not just a battle for territory, but a fight for their very ideals and future.

"I see she wore her best armor." Aeson smirked. Sebastians' eyes darkened for a moment as Aesons examined every inch of his lover.

"Careful Aeson," he warned.

"She is beautiful, Sebastian. But every man in the company knows she is yours." He assured him. "And based on her glow I would say you two have finally made Aphrodite happy."

Sebastian paled, remembering the smirk he had received from his Apollo. "We... enjoyed a night together, yes." He confirmed, Aeson patted him on the back, congratulating him.

"You are one lucky man." Sebastian kept himself contained, this was his friend after all. He knew he had a pension for being quick to anger but still it was well known for the sake of placidity to never contend with another's lover. If it were anyone else, perhaps he would unleash Cerberus upon him.

Speaking of... where is my dog? Sebastian thought to himself. "Anna!" He called. "Have you seen a dane by chance?"

"Do you mean the four legged kind? Or the kind with three legs when it has too much wine?" Anna called back, jokingly. He chuckled.

"For arguments' sake the four legged kind. Unless they'd be on our side of course." Anna shook her head, making Sebastian pause. He reached within his mind to find his beloved pet. It called back to him from the wilderness-almost weary. He growled to himself, calling upon the ancient magic which rooted every vine and branch within the whole of the earth.

Cerberus... he called. I call upon you my favorite pet.

The beast grumbled lowly, comfortable wherever it lay, but was obedient. Guard the gates, many dead shall pass through tonight, he commanded.

He glanced back at his friend, Aeson, who was counting the wounded, Sebastian told them that it was best for those who could travel to board the ships at port and set sail for home. Aeson refused him, ensuring that they could stand one last fight for their beautiful princess-soon to be queen-of all of Helena. Sebastian understood why he wanted to continue, but also understood that in their current shape they could not fend for themselves against a swarm of locusts. With a heavy heart, he commanded the heavily wounded to board the ships and head home or be relieved of duty. Those able bodied would stand another day with the sword of Anna, the soul of Athena.

They were not able to deny a direct order, so the cart bearers begrudgingly headed for the docks of the city. Specifically, to those who were able to continue on, he also commanded that they fill their bellies with wine and the finest bread, rest until the sun sets, and through the night enjoy the beautiful women of the city. At this the soldiers gladly accepted. Apollo had warned that by the next dawn the enemy would reach the gates.