The Flicker at Dusk

Chapter 2: The Flicker at Dusk

The air was heavy that night, thick with the promise of rain, yet the clouds remained at bay, swirling silently above the village. Casandra hurried down the narrow path toward home, her boots scuffing against the dirt. The sight of the strange light near the woods lingered in her mind, a flicker she couldn’t quite ignore.

Home was a small, aging cottage at the edge of the village, worn down from years of neglect. The fence sagged, the roof had patches where the tiles were missing, and the garden—once tended lovingly by their mother—was overgrown with weeds. Still, it was all they had. Casandra had made it a place of safety for her and Elara, even if it was falling apart.

Inside, the faint glow of a lantern greeted her. Elara was sitting at the table, hunched over a book with her brow furrowed in concentration. Her hair, long and dark like Casandra’s, fell messily around her face, and she looked up with a smile the moment she heard the door creak open.

"You're home," Elara said, her eyes bright with relief.

Casandra nodded, pulling off her worn jacket and hanging it on the hook. "How’s the studying going?" she asked, moving to the stove to warm up some leftover stew.

Elara groaned, closing the book with a thud. "It’s going. I just... I’m trying to understand these equations, but it feels impossible sometimes."

"You'll get it," Casandra said, pouring two bowls. "You always do."

Elara took the bowl gratefully, her fingers wrapping around the warmth of it. She looked up, studying Casandra’s face. "You look tired."

"I'm fine," Casandra replied automatically, though she felt the weight of exhaustion settling into her bones. She’d been saying the same thing for years. I’m fine.

They ate in silence for a while, the only sound the clink of spoons against bowls and the soft crackle of the fire. Casandra’s thoughts drifted back to the light she’d seen near the Whispering Woods. She debated telling Elara, but then shook the idea off. Her sister didn’t need to worry about something that was probably just a trick of the eyes—or worse, another task to distract from her studies.

"You’ll do great on your exam," Casandra said, trying to refocus her thoughts on what mattered. "And once you graduate, you won’t have to worry about anything. Just keep pushing a little longer."

Elara smiled softly, but there was something sad in her eyes. "I don’t want to leave you behind, Cass. You’ve done everything for me. I just… I don’t want you to think I’m forgetting that."

Casandra forced a smile. "Don’t worry about me. This is what I’m here for. You focus on getting out of here and building the life you deserve."

But even as she said it, a small part of her—a part she kept buried—whispered that she had no idea what kind of life she herself deserved. It was a question she’d stopped asking long ago.

As they finished dinner, Casandra stood to clear the table when something outside the window caught her eye. Her hand froze mid-air, gripping the bowl, as she stared out into the dim night.

There it was again.

The light. Faint, but unmistakable, flickering near the trees at the edge of the Whispering Woods.

Casandra’s heart raced. She set the bowl down, quietly moving closer to the window, her eyes narrowing as she tried to make sense of what she was seeing. The light seemed to shift, as though someone—or something—was carrying it.

Elara noticed her change in posture and followed her gaze. "What is it?"

Casandra hesitated. She didn’t want to frighten Elara, but she couldn’t shake the feeling that the light was trying to show her something. Or maybe it was just curiosity getting the better of her. Either way, she couldn’t ignore it anymore.

"Stay here," Casandra said, grabbing her jacket.

Elara stood quickly, concern flashing across her face. "Where are you going?"

Casandra swallowed, her voice firm but calm. "Just to check on something. I won’t be long."

Without waiting for an answer, Casandra stepped out into the night, the door closing softly behind her. The cool air hit her skin, and the familiar sounds of the night greeted her—crickets, the rustle of wind in the trees, the distant hoot of an owl.

The light was still there, moving just beyond the edge of the village, near the line where the trees began to close in. Casandra’s feet carried her forward, her mind racing with questions. Who—or what—was out there?

The closer she got, the more the world around her seemed to fade away. The light, soft and ethereal, beckoned her like a whisper from the shadows.

And then, just as she reached the edge of the woods, it vanished.

Casandra stopped, her breath shallow, her heart pounding in her chest. She stood there, staring into the darkness of the trees, waiting—hoping—for something to happen.

But the night remained silent, as if it had swallowed whatever mystery the light held.

Casandra frowned, her pulse still racing. She could turn back now, pretend she hadn’t seen anything, go back to the familiar grind of life. Or she could step into the unknown, just like she had done so many times before when her family needed her to carry them through.

But this time, the need was different.

She took a deep breath, staring into the dense shadows of the Whispering Woods.

One step forward, and there would be no turning back.