Chapter Three- Edward

Jasper Montgomery, you sneaky man. With as much restraint I can muster, I leave my wife-to-be standing in the doorway. The innocent, bright smile she shot at me falls from her face as I turn on my heels.

When I opened the door, I didn't expect to see someone so beautiful and innocent. Her eyes were the first thing that caught me. Hazel brown eyes, that I'm sure are bewitching pools once cast in sunlight. There were eye bags underneath, but I think they complemented her bare face.

Her lips? Pink and lush. She's got a round face, a v-shaped jaw, and brunette hair that seemed to be silky and soft.

I was almost tempted to touch her but I caught myself when I took in her clothes. Paint stains were on her hip-hugging jeans. If my father wasn't in the textile industry, I'd think they were part of the design because they fit so well on the denim, but upon closer inspection, I realized they were stains, and there were lots of them.

How did she come here looking like that? I ask myself. Now that I'm away from her overwhelming presence, I think her hair looks a bit tattered too.

She may be beautiful, but I don't like women who don't look after themselves. Isn't self-care or whatever the trend right now? Dad thinks he's done a great job picking such a woman for me.

Well, too bad. My presence at the door would be the first and only time she'd see me. I've already informed Anita, to show her to her room.

Before I reach the stairs, someone pulls my t-shirt from behind.

Okay, maybe that wasn't the last she'd see of me, I think as I sigh and turn to face her. I know it's her because the strong jasmine fragrance I'd caught in the doorway suddenly invades my nostrils.

"I think it's rude of you to walk away like that," she mumbles shyly, but her face is resolute. It's almost cute. Almost.

I'm not going to apologize. We owe each other nothing.

"Is that so?" I reply, disinterested.

Her throat works a swallow as her head dips before she speaks again. "You went to Silver High, right?"

My brows lift in confusion. Did dad find me a stalker?

"What's that got to do with you?" I say, hoping she isn't some crazed fan or something.

"I was a freshman when you were a senior," she answers in a low voice.

My anxiety goes away. That makes sense. Pride overcomes me as I briefly remember my time as valedictorian. Mom was proud. She'd thrown a party. Dad was just happy to be there. But melancholy snakes around my chest as that dreadful day springs up and ruins my mood. Great.

"I don't care if we sat in history together, Jasmine," I say bitterly. There's not enough time to be surprised that I'd nicknamed her Jasmine because of her sweet fragrance. Her brows furrow, confused.

"My name is Lucy, not Jasmine," she protests.

I shrug, not caring. "Listen, this will be the last time you see me. Anita will see you to your room. You can ask her for anything if you want. I'm going to lay some ground rules. First, there will be no wedding, so you can kiss any fantasies goodbye. Second, no affection. I'd appreciate it if you weren't familiar with me or smile and laugh when I'm around you. Third, We can only talk about my old man. Got it?"

She opens her mouth to protest again but shuts it when she sees the seriousness on my face. Her nod is firm but reluctant. I know I said it'd be our last time seeing each other, but I have a feeling dad would try to put us in the same room as much as possible.