George Washington

"Where am I?! Why the hell am I in the air?!"

'Maybe I should've hung him a little higher so he could be closer to God,' George thought, pondering whether to pull the rope and hoist the man all the way to the ceiling or leave him where he was.

It didn't matter much to George, but for the man hanging about ten meters above the ground, it probably made a big difference.

"Hey! Down there! Can you help me down?"

"Well... I feel like putting you down, but not exactly in the way you're hoping," George scratched the back of his head.
'Why does he want to get farther from God? That's strange for a priest...'

He couldn't understand why the old man wanted to come back to earth when he was so close to the heavens. Besides, George had gone through the trouble of making him feel at home.
He had tied the priest to a cross and hung it from the ceiling of a church using a rope.
The divine light streaming through the stained glass illuminated the crucified priest like a holy martyr.
'Maybe this will end up in history books—or better yet, a new edition of the Bible.'

As George pondered existential questions, the priest above him screamed in pain.

"Isn't the church supposed to be a place of silence, Father?"

The man quieted down for a moment before answering. His voice was soft, tinged with authority, but mostly filled with exhaustion.

"Why do you mock me and my suffering, my son?"

"I was just asking, Father. I wasn't trying to mock you."
The priest coughed at George's response.

"Ahem... yes, it should be."

"Did you mean to say 'Amen,' Father?"

"Uh... yes. Amen, my son."

"Amen, Father."

A sinister, uncomfortable silence lingered for several seconds.

"So you're not going to let me down from this cross, my son?"

"No, Father. I wouldn't want to steal the police's role."

"Why are you doing this, my son? You'll never get to heaven with this kind of behavior."

The priest's statement made George think. He'd always had a few questions about religion, and with a priest at his disposal, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to ask.

"Did you manage to get forgiveness for all your murders, Father?"

The old man took several seconds before responding.

"How did you find me?"

"It was pretty simple with today's technology, but you still haven't answered my question, Frédérick."

If the man had any lingering doubts, they were gone now.

"I don't think changing your identity changes your life in the eyes of God. So, did you manage to absolve the sins of your past life?"

"No, my son, but perhaps I can pray for yours to be forgiven."

"I'm not sure you can pray with your arms stretched out like that, Father..."

The man coughed again.

"That's not how it works, my son. You must repent through your actions if you want God to forgive you for your sins."

George was intrigued.

"What should I do, Father, to earn God's forgiveness?"

"Let me down, my son, and you will be cleansed of all your sins."