Chapter 1

Chapter 1: The Island of Exile

The sun dipped low in the sky, casting golden hues over the grand estate of the Zhang family. For five years, Little Zhang Linfeng had lived in this ancient world, memories of a distant life filled with skyscrapers and the hum of technology slowly resurfacing like faint ripples in a pond. She sat in her opulent nursery, staring out at the sprawling gardens surrounding the estate. Fragrant peonies and lotus ponds stretched out beneath the crimson glow of sunset, a stark contrast to the busy streets of modern Beijing she had once known.

Though the scenery was serene, an air of tension hung heavily over the estate. Whispers of an impending decree from the yamen, the local magistrate’s office, stirred like dark shadows at the edges of Linfeng’s consciousness. The magistrate, infamous for his cruelty and hunger for wealth, had set his sights on the Zhang family’s fortune, eager to strip away their influence and reduce them to nothing.

Lady Zhang, Jiang Ruyi, Linfeng’s mother, paced the polished marble floors of the main hall, her deep blue robes trailing behind her like a stream in motion. Her face, usually serene and composed, now bore lines of worry, her slender hands clasped tightly as if in prayer. Linfeng, still young but unusually perceptive, watched her mother from a distance, the sight of her usually unshakable mother filled with such unease making her own small heart tremble.

She approached her mother cautiously, tugging at the hem of her embroidered robe. "Mother, why do you look so sad?" Linfeng's voice was small, laced with innocence, yet carrying a hint of something deeper.

Lady Ruyi paused, looking down at her daughter, her expression softening as she forced a smile. "It’s nothing, my dear Linfeng," she said gently, kneeling to meet her daughter’s gaze. She brushed a loose strand of hair from Linfeng’s face. "Just a passing cloud. Sometimes, life is like the bamboo—bending in the wind but never breaking. We must remain strong, like the bamboo, and weather the storm together."

Linfeng searched her mother’s eyes, sensing that there was more behind her words than she let on. "But what kind of storm, Mother?" she asked, her brows furrowing in concern. "Is it the kind that breaks things apart?"

Lady Ruyi’s lips trembled slightly before she composed herself. "It is a storm of misfortune, brought upon us by those who do not see us as we truly are," she admitted softly. "But you, my clever child, must trust that your father and I will find a way to keep us safe."

The days that followed were filled with growing dread. Linfeng often caught glimpses of her father, Lord Zhang Tianwei, deep in conversation with his advisors in the study. Their voices, though muffled, were filled with tension. Tianwei, a tall and imposing figure with a broad forehead and stern eyes, exuded authority even in the most difficult times. Linfeng admired her father greatly and knew that if there was a solution to their predicament, he would find it.

One evening, as Linfeng passed by the study’s open doors, she heard her father’s voice rise above the murmurs. "We cannot buy our way out of this," he said bitterly. "The magistrate is determined to make an example of us. He desires not just our wealth but our very name."

The next morning, Linfeng mustered the courage to speak to her father. She found him in the garden, standing by the koi pond, his expression thoughtful as he watched the fish glide through the water. "Father," she began, her voice trembling slightly, "what will happen to us?"

Tianwei turned to face his daughter, his stern features softening at the sight of her. "Ah, my Linfeng," he said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "You are still young, and this world is far more complicated than you can understand. But I promise you this—no matter where we go or what becomes of us, we will remain a family, and we will endure."

"But they say we are to be sent away," Linfeng pressed, her eyes wide with fear. "Is that true?"

A shadow passed over Tianwei's face as he sighed. "It is true," he admitted. "The yamen seeks to exile us to the Island of the Devil—a place where those cast aside by the world are sent to be forgotten." He hesitated, then knelt to meet Linfeng’s gaze. "But you must not let this place frighten you. Where there is life, there is hope. You must believe in that."

When the fateful decree arrived, it was on a stormy afternoon, the sky dark and brooding, as if mourning their plight. The yamen’s guards stormed into the estate, their metal armor glinting ominously in the fading light. They came bearing an official proclamation that rang through the halls like a death sentence.

"By the order of the magistrate, Lord Zhang Tianwei and his family are hereby banished to the Island of the Devil, on charges of defying the Emperor’s authority and hoarding wealth. All properties and holdings are to be confiscated."

Linfeng clutched her mother’s  hand tightly as the guards ransacked their home, stripping away their treasures and tearing down tapestries that had hung for generations. She watched as their once-beautiful home was reduced to a hollow shell. Outside, some civilians  gathered to watch the spectacle, their expressions a mix of pity and grim satisfaction. The Zhang family had once stood as a symbol of power, but now they were being paraded as a cautionary tale.

Their journey to the island was a harsh one. The small boat that carried them across the turbulent waters creaked ominously with every wave. The wind whipped Linfeng’s hair into a frenzy, and she shivered beneath the thin cloak that barely kept the cold at bay. The stories she had heard of the Island of the Devil echoed in her mind—rumors of desolation, of those cast away never to return.

When the boat finally reached the shore, the sight that met them was indeed bleak. Ragged huts dotted the rocky coast, the inhabitants wearing expressions as worn as their tattered clothing. The air smelled of salt and decay, and Linfeng could sense the despair clinging to the very stones beneath her feet. Yet, amid the squalor, she also saw signs of resilience—a few meager gardens tended with care, children chasing each other through the sand with bright eyes and laughter that seemed to defy the gloom.

The Zhangs settled into a small, drafty hut near the edge of the settlement. Lady Ruyi kept her head high, her dignity unbroken despite their circumstances. She busied herself with organizing the little they had brought, making their new home as comfortable as possible. Lord Tianwei, too, began reaching out to the other exiles, seeking to form bonds and alliances that might help them survive in this hostile place.

Linfeng, for her part, spent her days exploring the island and its people. She quickly learned that none of the inhabitants had been born here; all were castaways, banished from the mainland for various offenses, real or imagined. She listened to their stories, gaining an understanding of the lives that had brought them to this forsaken place. There were scholars who had spoken out against corruption, merchants who had fallen on hard times, and even a few noble families like her own.

It was during one of these quiet moments of reflection, as she sat on the shore with the waves lapping gently at her feet, that the memories of her past life returned to her with startling clarity. She recalled the digital world she had once known—a life of convenience and technology. In that life, she had run an online store, selling fine goods from far-off lands. That knowledge now felt like a lifeline, a spark of hope in a world that seemed determined to snuff out every bit of light.

As she thought back to the products she once sold—luxuries like silk and spices, but also practical items such as tools and farming supplies—an idea began to form. If she could somehow access even a fraction of that knowledge and find a way to bring it to this world, perhaps she could not only help her family but also transform the lives of the people here.

#unedited