Chapter 1: A Starting Point

The rain sounded like bullets hitting my window and it only increased the panic starting to boil in my blood. I was young then, innocent even. After hearing the shouting down the hall stop, I rolled over in my bed and prayed for sleep to wisk me away to dreams of a loving family like I was told everyone deserved. I heard it then, a scream that would scare Satan himself, and I knew that Dad finally did what he'd been threatening to do for as long as I could remember. He killed her. I wasn't sad though because she was mean to Daddy and I and he said she deserved it for being bad. Dad always said we would find a better Mommy, he promised he would and he never broke his promises. The next thing I remember Dad frantically shoved me into the beatup truck he drove and when I woke up he said I was at my new home. The house, if you could call it that, was a rundown place, dull grey and ivy covered every inch of the place. The windows were broken and the front door battered from old age. Dad left me then, said I couldn't go with him this time. That I had to be a man now and the people here would help me be just that. And then he was gone, the rain was pouring heavier, and I was all alone. A starting point for the hell my life was to become.