Chapter 20: Owning Your Success: Why It's Okay to Take Credit

For many people, particularly those grappling with imposter syndrome, accepting praise for accomplishments can feel like climbing a steep hill. Instead of basking in the warm glow of success, they often shy away, feeling an overwhelming urge to downplay their achievements or deflect compliments. "Oh, it was nothing," they might say, or "I had a lot of help," dismissing the very hard work and talent that brought them to where they are. But it's time to challenge this mindset and understand why owning your success is not just okay—it's essential.

The Weight of Dismissal

When we downplay our successes, we inadvertently undermine our own worth. Every time we brush off a compliment or belittle our accomplishments, we send a message to ourselves and others that we don't truly believe in our abilities. This is especially harmful for those of us who already struggle with self-doubt. It reinforces the negative cycle of imposter syndrome, where our achievements feel undeserved and our contributions seem insignificant.

Consider this: when you achieve something significant, whether it's a promotion, a successful project, or a personal milestone, you've poured your time, energy, and effort into it. Dismissing those accomplishments diminishes the value of that effort and suggests that you don't have the right to take credit. It's akin to running a marathon, crossing the finish line, and instead of celebrating, saying, "Oh, it was just a long jog."

The Power of Acknowledgment

Owning your success isn't just about boosting your self-esteem; it also sets a powerful precedent for others. When you openly acknowledge your achievements, you encourage those around you to do the same. You create an environment where success is celebrated rather than brushed aside, fostering a culture of recognition and empowerment.

Moreover, acknowledging your success helps you internalize your accomplishments. When you say, "I worked hard for this, and I deserve this recognition," you reinforce a positive self-image and a sense of ownership over your journey. This can be particularly important for high-achieving individuals who may feel their successes are anomalies rather than a reflection of their capabilities.

Reframing Your Narrative

So how can you begin to change the narrative around your achievements? Start by recognizing the specific contributions you made to your success. Instead of generalizing, break it down: What skills did you use? What challenges did you overcome? Reflect on the process and the dedication that led to your accomplishments.

For instance, if you led a successful project at work, think about how you managed the team, navigated obstacles, or inspired others to achieve their best. Acknowledge that your leadership, creativity, and determination played a significant role in the outcome. By framing your achievements in specific terms, you make it harder to dismiss them as mere luck or coincidence.

Practicing Gratitude for Yourself

Another effective strategy is to practice self-gratitude. Just as we often express appreciation for others, we should extend that same courtesy to ourselves. At the end of each day, take a moment to reflect on what you accomplished. It could be as simple as completing a difficult task, resolving a conflict, or even making time for self-care. Write these down and read them back to yourself. Over time, this practice can help shift your perspective and reinforce the idea that your efforts deserve acknowledgment.

When you genuinely appreciate your hard work and dedication, it becomes easier to accept compliments from others. Instead of feeling uncomfortable or defensive when someone praises you, you can respond with gratitude and recognition of your efforts. A simple "Thank you, I worked really hard on that" acknowledges both the compliment and your contribution.

Confronting Fear of Judgment

One of the reasons we often shy away from taking credit is the fear of judgment. We worry about appearing arrogant or boastful, which can feel uncomfortable, especially in cultures that value humility. However, there's a fine line between being proud of your accomplishments and being arrogant. Taking ownership of your success doesn't mean you have to brag or belittle others; it means recognizing your contributions and giving yourself credit where it's due.

It's important to remember that confidence in your abilities doesn't diminish the achievements of others. In fact, celebrating your successes can coexist with recognizing and appreciating the contributions of those around you. A healthy balance exists where you can feel proud of your accomplishments while also celebrating the achievements of your peers.

Creating a New Response

When someone compliments you, practice responding in a way that feels genuine and comfortable. Instead of deflecting or minimizing, try accepting the compliment gracefully. Here are a few examples of how to respond:

"Thank you! I put a lot of effort into that project, and I'm glad it was well received.""I appreciate that! It was a team effort, but I'm proud of what I contributed.""Thanks! I learned a lot along the way, and it feels good to see it pay off."

These responses allow you to acknowledge the compliment while reinforcing your own role in the success. With practice, this can become second nature, helping you feel more comfortable taking credit for your achievements.

Building a Legacy of Empowerment

Ultimately, owning your success is about more than just personal validation. It's about creating a legacy of empowerment for those around you. When you confidently claim your achievements, you inspire others to do the same. You help to normalize the conversation around success and encourage people to celebrate their hard work without fear of judgment or self-doubt.

As you begin to embrace your accomplishments, remember that you are not just taking credit for the sake of pride. You are validating your hard work, acknowledging the skills and strengths you possess, and paving the way for a more authentic expression of yourself. The more you own your success, the less room there is for imposter syndrome to thrive.

Conclusion

Owning your success isn't merely an act of self-affirmation; it's a vital step in breaking the cycle of imposter syndrome. By acknowledging your achievements, reframing your narrative, and practicing self-gratitude, you can shift your perspective and build a healthier relationship with your accomplishments. Remember, it's not just okay to take credit for your hard work—it's necessary. You've earned it, and by celebrating your journey, you empower yourself and those around you to embrace their successes too. So go ahead, own it! You deserve every bit of recognition that comes your way.