Chapter 1: The Night That Changed Everything

The roar of the crowd was still echoing in Cassian Ward's ears as he and his parents drove down the narrow, winding road toward home. The stars were shining down upon him, a bright red bloodmoon, peeked through the pine trees that flew by out the window. The only light came from the headlights of the old Mercedes his dad drove. The scent of grass and sweat clung to his skin, and the thrum of adrenaline still coursed through his veins. He felt it pumping through his veins.

They'd won-by a landslide. Croft High hadn't made it to the regional football finals in over a decade, and tonight their star quarterback had dominated. Cassian had led the charge, scoring the final touchdown in a play that would be talked about for years - he was sure of that.

His parents couldn't be more thrilled with him. Their smiles and continuous praise from the front seats of the car made the effort of winning well worth it.

"I can't believe that last run you had, Cassian," his father beamed, his brown eyes looking into the rearview mirror at him.

Cassian smiled back, shrugging. "Pure luck."

"No, that was all on you. You played well honey," his mother said turning to look at him. She brushed away a piece of short blond hair from her face.

Cassian should have been over the moon, too, but instead, a strange tension gripped his chest. His skin felt too tight, his muscles twitching under his flesh like they were alive with energy.

He shifted uncomfortably in the back seat, trying to calm his racing heart. His entire body was on edge, pulsing with the lingering intensity of the game, but this was more than post-match jitters. His senses felt hyperactive-the soft hum of the car engine seemed too loud, the scent of the pine trees outside was overwhelming, almost choking. The full moon overhead glowed unnaturally bright through the window, casting eerie red shadows across the road.

"Cassian?" his mother gently said. "What's wrong honey?"

His mother's voice faded into the background as Cassian's vision blurred for a moment. He shook his head, brushing a strand of sweaty dusty blond hair out of his eyes. Something was wrong. Was he coming down with something?

"Everything okay, son?" his father asked from the driver's seat, glancing at him through the rearview mirror, his aging freckles twinkling unnaturally in the headlights.

Cassian tried to respond, but his throat tightened, his hands clenching into fists on their own as they gripped the old leather. Sweat dripped down the back of his neck, and a sharp pain bloomed in his chest. His muscles pulsed, not unlike a post-work out muscle throb. He sucked in a deep breath, his heart thudding wildly, and then it hit him-a wave of raw, searing pain that tore through his body like fire.

Cassian gasped, clutching his sides as the pain intensified, his vision swimming in and out of focus. He couldn't hold back the groan that escaped his lips, low and feral. His muscles contorted, bones shifting beneath his skin in ways that shouldn't have been possible.

"Cassian?" His mother's voice was suddenly tight with worry, her head whipping around to face him. "Cassian, what's wrong?"

His father's eyes shot to the rearview mirror again, filled with concern. "Do we need to stop?"

"Pull over!" Cassian managed to gasp. "Now!"

"Honey!? Wayne, pull over!" his mother screeched.

Cassian wanted to scream, to beg them to make it stop, but all that came out was a growl. His hands shot to his face-his nails had turned to claws. Long and yellow. Unnatural. His breath came in ragged gasps, his body writhing in the cramped back seat.