Chapter 1

The late afternoon sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm golden glow across the bustling streets of the city. Engfa stood outside the precinct, absently tapping her foot as she scrolled through her phone. She was waiting for her partner, Patcha, who was always running late. Just as she was about to shoot her a text, Patcha came bounding down the steps, her curly hair bouncing and her face flushed with excitement.

"Sorry! I got caught up in a briefing," Patcha said, her breath coming in quick bursts. "You won't believe it. We have a new forensic doctor joining the team today!"

Engfa raised an eyebrow, her expression skeptical. "Another one? We already have Dr. Harlow, and he's not exactly the most pleasant person to work with."

"I know, but this one is supposed to be top-notch! Charlotte Bellucci-heard she's brilliant!" Patcha said, her enthusiasm infectious.

"Brilliant doesn't mean pleasant," Engfa muttered, rolling her eyes. "I can't handle another know-it-all. We have enough drama in this precinct as it is."

Patcha grinned and nudged Engfa with her elbow. "C'mon, give her a chance. It could be fun!"

Engfa sighed, knowing that she could never resist Patcha's charm. "Fine, but if she starts throwing around technical jargon and acting superior, I'm out."

The two women walked into the precinct, the familiar scents of coffee and stale donuts greeting them. Officers bustled around, exchanging stories and laughter, their camaraderie palpable. Engfa felt a flicker of warmth at the sight. She loved this job-the thrill of solving crimes, the adrenaline of the chase, and the bond between her and her colleagues. But she also knew that sometimes, new additions could disrupt the delicate balance they had built.

As they made their way through the busy office, Engfa spotted a small crowd gathered near the front desk. Curiosity piqued, she and Patcha approached. There, standing confidently with a clipboard in hand, was Charlotte Bellucci. Her short, dark hair framed her face perfectly, and her blue eyes sparkled with intelligence and determination.

"Alright, everyone! I'm Dr. Charlotte Bellucci, and I'm excited to join this amazing team!" Charlotte announced, her voice clear and commanding. Engfa felt a mix of admiration and annoyance at the confidence radiating from Charlotte.

"Let's keep things professional, shall we?" Charlotte continued, her tone no-nonsense. "I'll be in the lab if anyone needs me. I expect teamwork and respect, and I promise to do the same."

Engfa folded her arms, skepticism bubbling beneath her surface. Great, just what they needed-someone who thought they were better than everyone else.

"See? Brilliant and condescending," Engfa whispered to Patcha, who chuckled softly.

"Just give her a chance!" Patcha insisted. "She's new. You'll like her once you get to know her."

Engfa remained unconvinced, but she didn't have time to dwell on it. Just then, Captain Morales stepped forward, his booming voice cutting through the chatter.

"Everyone, settle down! We have a new case that needs immediate attention. There's been a string of burglaries in the downtown area, and it seems we have a lead on a suspect. I want all hands on deck."

Engfa's heart raced at the mention of a new case. The rush of adrenaline coursed through her veins as she exchanged glances with Patcha. This was what they lived for-the thrill of the chase, the chance to make a difference.

"Patcha, you and Engfa will head to the scene and secure evidence. Charlotte, I expect you to be on standby in the lab for analysis," Captain Morales ordered, eyeing the new forensic doctor.